All Season tyres (slightly OT?)

Struggling a bit in the snow and ice on some of the local hills, anyone got views on All Season?

Honest John seems to like Michelin Cross Climate.

Reply to
newshound

Two of our vehicles are fitted with Maxxis AP2 XL (M&S) tyres but it's difficult to say if they have helped (when the going get's tough) because they haven't not worked anywhere so far. ;-)

The logic for getting them is that they offered good poor weather / mud performance (for a road tyre etc), wouldn't be doing loads of miles (so it wouldn't be too much of an issue if they were slightly softer material) and that pretty well anything will work ok in good weather (particularly bald tyres). ;-)

A set of 4, fitted and balanced locally were around £200 so not particularly expensive.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

I am certain they will be good, I have been using Michelin Alpins on my car and the improvement in grip when it gets cold (compared to a 'normal' tyre) is really obvious, and they don't seem to wear unduly in the summer either.

Reply to
MrCheerful

I ran my Mondeo estate for 4 winters on Continental winter tyres, until I w ore them out. I then swapped to Michelin all season Cross Climate at the ne xt point where my summer tyres needed replacing, and found them to be every bit as good as the full winters with the added benefit (compared to summer tyres) of high performance in wet weather (which we are more likely to exp erience than a period of sustained snowy weather). I would heartily recomme nd them. They didn't wear quite as well as normal summer tyres but I was ha ppy to take the performance upside against a slight decrese in life compare to a summer tyre.

They are certainly much better than the Conti Sport Contact tyres that are currently on my Kuga which are turning into dreadful tyres as they come tow ards the end of their life (even with >3mm left).

Reply to
Kevin H

Thanks all for the upvotes, my mechanic is currently checking price and availability.

Reply to
newshound

Costco would likely have them in stock at a good price. What size/s are you after?

Reply to
MrCheerful

175-65-R15 iirc, I expect my guy knows all the good suppliers and he is very well trusted in my circles.
Reply to
newshound

I decided to do a 'support local business' at my last tyre change, and asked my local back street tyre fitter to supply/fit 4 fairly exotic tyres for my Mini. His prices were better than any google search threw up.

Reply to
RJH

I got my Alpin 5s off ebay at 185 for 4, delivered. Fitted them myself. I cannot detect any imbalance, but if any shows up I will get Costco to balance them.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Just fitted 4 Nokians but I haven't had a chance to try them out in anything adverse.

Hard to source in the UK so I ordered them online and had them fitted locally.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David