Almera Window rattle.

Nissan Almera, when the drivers window is shut it is rattling, so annoying. If I just open the window slightly , no rattle, Now the weather is getting colder I need to keep the window shut. Car due for 2 year service in November (when I find a dealer seeing all in my area have deserted the ship) Is there a simple remidy to prevent the rattle without taking the door to bits.? Peter.

Reply to
Peter C

Do you have electric windows? The widow glass may be dislodged from the guide inside the door. On my Almera (1996), although I didn't have a rattle, the window used to stick on upward travel. It was quite easy to solve after removing the door trim. I managed to relocate the glass in the guide (lock side of door) and the problem was solved. I had just bought the car at the time but the garage only suggested spaying with WD40, so I wouldn't rely on a so-called garage 'service' to sort out the problem. Garage 'servicing' is a complete waste of time and money in my opinion. BTW, it's 'remedy', not 'remidy'.

Terry D.

Reply to
Terry D

I think the OP is aware of the cause of the rattle. For those unaware of it, let me explain what I found with the same rattle in my car.

The glass pane is gripped on the inside and outside by the lower horizontal straight edge of the window opening by the plastic trim. Sometimes, there is a strip of felt-like material lining the contacts. With the passage of time, the plastic gets warped slightly, presumably as a consequence of direct ultraviolet light. It's the tiny gap between the contacts and the glass that permits vibration of the glass pane hitting the plastic trim hence the hum initially (when the car is new) but rattle latter. Of course, with the window wound down, there is no contact and no rattle. To verify that this is the source of the rattle, tear out a small piece of a washing-up foam pad and jam it into the tiny gap, the hum/rattle should cease.

I'll leave others to suggest an economical, longer lasting cure.

Reply to
Lin Chung

Lin. Are you suggesting I use a part of a foam pad at the top of the window ? If so I will give it a go. Thanks Terry, Yes they are electric windows. BTW I can spell,(my computer has problems associated with the keyboard and tow (two) finger typing. Peter

Reply to
Peter C

Yes, you have got the idea! It can only be a temporary measure naturally, but if it's effective, that can see you through the winter months.

Reply to
Lin Chung

I wouldn't rely on a so-called

Thanks Terri :-)

As its a 2yrs old I'd prefer a repair under warranty - 3 yrs?

And your POV about servicing - don't open the front thing until it fails to proceed?

Reply to
Tommy

Reply to
Peter C

Now resolved. Service has found that the window was catching the mirror casing,Easily sorted Peter,

Reply to
Peter C

So, the source of the rattle came from the gap between the base of the stalk of the side mirror and the window glass pane. Thanks for the feedback.

Reply to
Lin Chung