Petrol cars to be banned

If you belive the party line ( & they win! )

IanDTurner

It's easy to make idealistic statements like that when you have f*** all chance of being elected.

For the "real world" in politics, just remember "Yes Minister"...

Reply to
asahartz

No one, well apart form Abramovich descendants, will be able to afford petrol by then anyway.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

( snipped-for-privacy@AOL.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

People talk about Cameron seeming to be trying to hand the next election to Gordon, but it seems that Ming has it down to a fine art...

A friend and neighbour of ours is a staunch LibDem activist - when they first announced the proposed massive VED raises a couple of years ago, I asked her for her thoughts on that policy. "Absolutely! People shouldn't buy such polluting cars! It's disgusting! They should buy economical smaller ones!"

Then I pointed out that their MkV Golf 1.6FSI auto would be in line for about a 50% increase... They've just replaced it with the same again...

Reply to
Adrian

I like to point out to idiots like that that I do 1/5th of the average milage in my car that produces about twice the average small car "pollution" - IMO they should be charged more. Charge by the mile, its the only way you will get people to stop making pointless/short journeys.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

Oh - you mean, like, duty on fuel? :)

Reply to
DervMan

DervMan ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Blimey, Dervy... Don't go suggesting things like that - they might take you up on it!

Reply to
Adrian

LOL. If only.

Reply to
DervMan

Instead of VED yes. As much as I hate to admit it, driving a car that gets 17 to the gallon lol - if im honest and sensible it would certainly stop me making unnecessary journeys. But id bloody well want proper public transport /first/.

Reply to
CoyoteBoy

I feel your answer is pretty short-sighted. Petrol cars will be banned long before 2040, by 2015 we'll all be on another fuel most likely, maybe even decent conversions if feasible.

Petrol cars are fading fast, although it's understandable you don't see it that way. Honda's new prototype uses hydrogen, and it looks fantastic too, as well as the idea we could fuel from our homes/flats through community-style cheap pumps.

There is ONE major obstacle to changing from petrol to another substance for cars though: the oil companies go down the pan. BP reported $242 billion pounds this year in their annual report, that would go substantially down as our demand for oil plummets.

Still, I'd love a non-petrol car. Why hasn't Bush gone after Mugabe? No oil :-) We're desperate for the stuff, bu we just don't realise it. Shame really.

Reply to
Robert

It's mainly the poorest families that are affected by cars though. Unfortunately poorer families tend to have less academic backgrouns, which means most can't cook adequately with fresh ingredients, and use the car a lot, moan about being poor, but still have sky HD with 300 channels. This then results in fat people, who i dub 'fatties', which is why if you take a walk about a city these days you will see that woman are increasingly appearing overweight in higher proportions!

I mean FFS is a 10 minute walk REALLY that bad?!

Reply to
Robert

Bollocks.

I saw a programme the other day that says our *know* oil resources are running low, but there's at least as much as we've found so far out there waiting to be found.

As supplies from known sources become more scarce, we'll start looking towards areas which are yet to be explored.

Reply to
SteveH

SteveH ( snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

*ding* As prices rise, and extraction technology improves, the deposits which weren't economically viable to extract become so.
Reply to
Adrian

Petrol is pretty much a by-product of oil, and is useless for much else than burning. Oil is vital for the production of dyes, plastics, pharmaceuticals and most other kinds of synthetic organics.

The politicians couldn't give a damn whether petrol was available, it's only private motorists that use it, and they're only one step above paedophiles in the popularity lists. Our rulers would soon notice if the other oil-based products disappeared.

Reply to
Joe