Alternator belt change - '96 Clio

Hi folks,

Can anyone give me some tips on changing the alternator belt on my '96 Clio?

This one has the Alt at the back of the block, partially tucked under the inlet manifold and quite tight to the steel inner wing/wheel arch. What's the easiest way to get access to it and to keep the belt tension setting when re-fitting?

Should I jack it up and get to it from below or just remove the airbox and go at it from on top?

Access looks to be a bugger with many a skinned knuckle from the attempt.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Chris Dugan

I hate everything french, and don't work on them unless I have to, so I can't say from experience, but ......... Mostly on small modern fwd cars it would be done from underneath. usually easiest to remove the wheel and any shields that are below/beside the area. most modern things have sprung loaded belt tensioners.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks, I don't know why people hate French cars so much. I guess I must have been lucky with them so far.... :-) 4 so far in the last 8 years (private and company cars).

Unfortunately it doesn't look like it has a spring loaded tensioner it appears to be a length of thread with a locknut :-(. The Laguna that I used to have did though.. it took me about a minute to change the belt on that with the correct sized spanner!

I haven't had a recent look inside the wheel arch but my dim memory from last year and changing the front brake pads was that I couldn't even see the Alt from underneath and there wasn't a plastic wheel-arch liner on the inside of the wheel arch, just lining the top, front and rear of the arch. I'll have a good look tomorrow during the day and try to get a better idea of the access, damn squeaky belts!

Reply to
Chris Dugan