+ and - of automatic gearbox - is manual better?

What are the plus's and minuses of an automatic gearbox? Take into account weather, ice snow, increase fuel consumption and anything else u can think of.

Is a manual gearbox better? Which do you prefer?

Reply to
tED gORDON

How long is a piece of string? :)

There are several types of gearbox and different ways of driving their inputs, each may allow or require manual or automatic gear selection by one or more methods.

There's a not bad overview here:

Torque converters are less efficient than clutches and autos often have fewer gears, so fuel consumption my be worse than an optimally used manual.

You probably don't want first gear when it's slippy, not all autos let you avoid it, however torque converters are better for creeping than clutches.

You probably don't want to be surprised by a gearshift half way round a tight bend, some autos might.

In some situations a manual synchromesh gearbox with a clutch is just what you want, in others it's the worst choice.

Me, I'd have a smart, adaptive epicyclic auto, with manual override, driven by a torque converter or a CVT every time for a road car.

Alistair J Murray

I have one of each. If I had to chose between them, I'd keep the automatic. I'd say if you do a lot of everyday driving in heavy traffic conditions. Towns, busy roads etc, an automatic is the only sensible choice. In snow and ice, an automatic will probably cope better, as the power take up is naturally much more gentle, so pulling away can be easier. As far as fuel consumption is concerned, there's very little to chose between a modern automatic with lock-up, and the manual version of the same car. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

In news:438d1807$0$1452$ snipped-for-privacy@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net, Mike G decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

you still got the SD1?

I e-mithered you, but never got a reply....

Reply to
Pete M

Yup. I emailed a reply. Heard nothing. You using some sort of spam trap? Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

My reading is that an automatic is still 10-15% less (power) efficient than a manual. This translates to 10-15% higher fuel consumption. That apart, an automatic is overwhelmingly superior in terms of smoother gear changes, zero (human) error in operation, and longer device life expectancy.

The current trend seems to be an adoption of a hybrid of the two, the clutch(-peddle)less manual transmission. Leaving aside the advantage of its accurate electronic timing, it also has the mechanical precision of an automatic but without its power sapping penalty. As if to prove the point, Toyota has seen fit to provide in the new Aygo model line-up options for either manual or clutchless manual gear boxes -- MMT (multi-mode manual transmission) -- but *no* automatic.

Let us not kid ourselves. In the final analysis, what boils down to is to decide whether one is prepared to sacrifice the exhilaration in the skillful (manual) control and taming of a powerful passive machine in exchange for the monotony of (automatic) driving super-efficiency.

Reply to
Lin Chung

What about going downhill in an automatic,particularly in snowy or icy conditions, you cant select the gear to hold the engine speed like you could do in a manual? Your going to just have to rely on the footbrake?

Reply to
tED gORDON

tED gORDON (lkljk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yes, you can.

Reply to
Adrian

We have one of each. I have a Zafira auto for the past 3 years and the wife a Hyundai manual. I went to an auto because of the increased traffic conditions and the stop-start of general everyday traffic. We drive each others cars and both firmly believe that although there is a fuel penalty of

10 to 15% (compared to a friends manual Zafira) the ease of getting from A to B is well worth it. Yes the enjoyment of going through the gears is no longer there but with the number of speed detectors about now the fun has gone out of driving so we find getting about in the auto just ideal. - You can still pull away at traffic lights and notice the slowness of other cars gear changes with manual transmissions because they keep dropping back on each gear change they make. Whereas the auto has almost continual acceleration with gear changes that or almost undetectable. In the case of the Zafira 4th in the auto is a higher gear than 5th in the manual version so motorway cruising is much quieter.

Gio

Reply to
Gio

Pricecisely so. For the most part I would personally prefer an automatic for driving to work and back. However there are occasions where I just want to go for a drive out in the country, I would certainly miss having a manual grearbox in that case, so I'm not sure I could bring myself to buy an auto transmission car. The only ones I've had have been hire cars.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

The message from tED gORDON contains these words:

Automatic. Contrary to the views of those who prefer to row cars along the road, there's no lack of control and they're just so much more relaxing to drive. I've always liked them - and now I've got one!

Reply to
Guy King

Mark Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@markhewittDotCoDotUk.spammers.will.die) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

There's an easy solution to that.

Reply to
Adrian

The message from tED gORDON contains these words:

Who says you can't select the gears? Automatics have manual over-rides to allow you to do just this. Most selectors run PRND21 or similar. Shove it in 2 or 1 and you've got smashing engine braking.

Reply to
Guy King

My cash dosn't really strech to one car, never mind two. Or are you suggesting one of these hybrid type transmissions?

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Mark Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@markhewittDotCoDotUk.spammers.will.die) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

IIRC you bought a new car? There's no way I can afford a new car. But I have a multiplicity of cars.

Reply to
Adrian

10-15% less transmission efficiency only really dents low speed economy.
Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Modern ones will do it for you if they detect runaway. Older ones just select a lower ratio.

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

Yes and I'm very happy with it :). The choice of auto transmission isn't that important to me that I would buy two cars.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

I've always had manuals but I've now got two autos (one was inherited, one was cheap) and a manual and drive all three frequently.

Autos are undoubtedly the best (easiest) for driving in traffic, especially stop-start. Hill starts are a no-brainer too. In snow you might have to shift down to '1' or '2' for engine braking. Kickdown also means that you can have blast of full power (for overtaking, etc) without having to worry about over-revving so you can keep your eyes on the road.

Trouble is, when you want to drive fast (round corners), they aren't quite clever enough to shift down exactly when you want no matter how clever the 'fuzzy logic' electronics, etc. Fuel economy wise, they tend to have 4 instead of 5 gears, and you miss that 5th gear on the motorway if you drive at >70, about town my Golf's economy isn't too bad, but probably still a little less than a manual.

Zimmy

Mark Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@markhewittDotCoDotUk.spammers.will.die) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Spend what you spent on one new car on one automatic AND one interesting manual for country lane fun.

Reply to
Adrian