Ants in the car

"TMC" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@bt.com:

Get a small container of boric acid or borax if no actual b.a. avail, and sprinkle /lightly/ all over the carpets and under and around seats.

Washing all the floors, carpets and seats and cleaning out stuff from under the seats etc would not hurt either. Ants look and if they find nothing they move on, unlike humans.

Reply to
vampire chicken

Hi All

Son says lots of ants in the car when he went to work this morning

Anyone any experience of this

How do they get in?

Why would they bother?

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Food ?

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

He says no food in the car but I will check when he gets back

Are ants really that good that they can sense food in a closed car or do they just pop in on spec so to speak?

I remember losing an un wrapped werthers down the side of my seat last year but never saw any ants. I must see if I can find the sweet just in case..........or I suppose I could buy a fresh bag

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Has someone spilt a sweet drink (coke, tango etc.) on the carpets maybe?

Tony

Reply to
Tony Brett

No they don't like werthers but can smell an apple core at 50 metres ! I'm guessing that bit ! ;-)

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cap

A sticky sweet dropped somewhere (often between seats) would be very attractive to Ants. Anything sweet is. Ant season has just started with a few Ant hills appearing in my garden, so I'd suspect they have been laying dormant or as eggs in the car until recently. Probably nesteded in some sandy mud in a box section somewhere. Watch them and try to work out where they are coming from/going for clues of where the nest is. As a temporary solution would be parking the car in deep shade or a garage to stop their activity as they only work when its nice and warm. Ant powder does not permanently get rid of them and too messy for a car. The nest needs to be found and removed. Perhaps flushing it out with a hose. That is as much as I know about Ants.

Graham

Reply to
Graham

The food can be outside the passenger compartment - bees and other bugs on the front and inside the radiator grille. All available a short walk from the comfort of home in some crevice where it doesn't get too hot.

I've removed the occasional infestation with a mixture of borax and honey left around as bait to poison them.

John

Reply to
John Henderson