Any known problems with escort ..........

Are there any known problems with Ford Escorts, 1994 1.6LXi estates??

have had one offered, has 110,000 on clock, just thought ide ask here first cheers si

Reply to
Sly

Fusebox/Electrical problems.

If it's the 8v CVH version, it eats camshafts.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Hi Pete thanks for the info, its now parked in my drive, i bought it,lol

Lower arms going/gone i think, anyone know how much to have replaced?

regards si

Reply to
Sly

On the CVH, at 110k the cam / lifters will be truely shot and the engine giving about 60% of what it can do, which isnt alot at the best of times.

If its the 16v zetec engine- assuming reasonable maintanance it'll be fine til 150k or so...

Other than that, fuse boxes like to go up in smoke, and ride will get hard and bouncy from worn out dampers.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

cheers tim not to sound dumb or anything but how do i know if its the Zetech engine?

The service history is complete upto 97k all main dealer, theres not a mark on the car its certainly been well looked after, cheers si

Reply to
Sly

If its the Zetec 16v engine - the spark plugs will be vertically in the center of the rocker cover and it will say Zetec 16v on it!

If its the CVH then the plugs will be facing you, above the exhaust manifold.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

DIY job and replacements are less than =A320 a side from motor factors.

--=20 Conor

"The vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world.=20 And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice."

- George Bush

Reply to
Conor

cheers tim Gonna wait till morning to go out and pop the hood, snowing out at moment, 3 inch on the ground!!

thanks again Si

Reply to
Sly

Its a Ztech Tim:>)

Im hoping due to the 10k interval main dealer service history from new upto

10k ago i'll get a few thousand more from it.

regards si

Reply to
Sly

Were these the ones that Ford did that 'special offer on'. Can't remember the advert exactly but it was something along the lines of you can buy any escort model for £12,000 ?

Twas a number of years ago and I may just be completely wrong.....

Reply to
Tim

Biggest problem is a small oval badge at the front that says "FORD".

Henry ford... shook hands with 1/2 the world.... shook the shit out of the other 1/2.

JK

Reply to
JK

yeah you should- the Zetec E engine is tried and tested and will do big mileages with relative ease. Remmeber you must use the correct 5w-30 oil and if your doing less than 15,000 miles a yr, i'd have it changed at 6 monthly intervals.

Is there evidence that the cam belt was changed at 80k- it would scrap the car if the belt broke on an other wise tidy car.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (Remove NOSPAM. Registry corupted, reformated HD and l

unable to find out at all if the belt was changed, guess im best having it done to be on the safe side?

I'll be doing a lot less than 15k a year more like 5 if that!

regards si

Reply to
Sly

Mainly batteries and starter motors - camshafts can be a problem but if you use good oil and change regular the problems can be minamazed.

Bill

Reply to
bill