Anybody got one of those new computerised MOTs yet?

We've had our MOT Computer running for a couple of weeks, now. It took a little getting used to, but we find it isn't all that bad.

DVLA database has a lot of errors in it, incorrect VINs, wrong engine sizes, etc. As a tester, we must register the details of the vehicle we are presented with. Some owners are going to get querying leters from the DVLA to confirm their vehicles details. Some may get a bill to repay car tax for the higher engine size...

A vehicle with a large amount of failure items takes a long time to enter into the computer. Each item must be individualy entered - ie not in a group as in '4 bald tyres' Corossion areas are a bit of a pain to type in.

visit:

Vehicles remaining for repair cannot be charged for a retest. Vehicles failing on only specified minor items, and returned for retesting by end of next working day - no charge. All other vehicles must have a FULL RETEST, and I don't think there will be many garages not charging the full fee for this retest.

Reply to
NT

NT ( snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I'm not sure that's a bad thing. Years ago, I took a shed for a ticket - it failed on a couple of things. Went back a day or two later, they only checked the fail items, and gave me a certificate.

Only snag was that three indicators had given up on the way for the retest...

Reply to
Adrian

I wonder how quick they'll be when it's the other way round?

Parish

Reply to
Parish

Now how do I transplant a smart engine into an S class?

Reply to
Tim S Kemp

My local place charges the full amount for a test. My SD1 failed on a track control arm ball joint on a Friday. Got a new arm and fitted it over the weekend, and went back on Monday. They did a full re-test, and passed it for no charge.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Tim S Kemp ( snipped-for-privacy@timkemp.karooSPAMTRAP.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do Wankels qualify for the lower tax...? RX8's only 1308cc...

Reply to
Adrian

My local garage gives a £10 discount and I got a free retest three days later.

Reply to
Conor

In message , Adrian writes

Specifically excluded for company car tax purposes (treated as being in the top 35% bracket if no CO2 data available), so I expect they've spotted that one.

Reply to
Steve Walker