Are Civic autos reliable?

Situation is this - SWMBO does need a car that does better mpg so she stops chucking almost half her salary in the tank. It's not hard as she's currently got a Jeep Cherokee but this is complicated by the fact that she's in Florida and I'm not. Well, most of the time.

I was thinking of something like a decent small to mid-size Japanese car and as I tend to like Hondas I was thinking of an early to mid 90s Civic. But as mentioned we're talking slushbox only here and that had me wondering just how idiot-proof they are.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Mate - if she's in the states and spending a fortune on fuel, be pleased that she isn't here in the UK buying it here at our prices! BTW - thanks for the warning, I was at my local Jeep dealer yesterday and was considering one of those 2.4 Cherokee Sports - @ 24 MPG. Think I'll stick with my megane diesel.....

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

And your point is? Apart from petrol being more expensive over here?

They're not too bad. Sir wants to try the old 4.0 - does about 15mpg (US).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Normally yes, but as long as *you* don't buy it, it'll be reliable.

Having said that, as far as economy goes you might find the Accord isn't a lot worse in Auto, and is a much better and more comfortable car.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Timo Geusch wrote on Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:15:44

+0000:

Why would there need to be multiple points?

Reply to
David Taylor

er .... I think that is his point ....

Reply to
DougP

Ah yes, I can see the problem here...

OK, I'll keep that in mind. Accords are obviously less likely to have been owned by boy racers, too. The Civic is pretty popular with them at least in the US.

Reply to
Timo Geusch
[Snipped Text]

Does SO have any better luck?, perhaps better to let her do the purchasing ;-)

Yes, there is that too.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Hrmpf. I'm usually pretty good with purchasing vehicles that aren't for my own use...

Indeed. Unfortunately most cars don't last that long in the climate in Florida so it may be necessary to find one in a dryer state. All not too good.

Reply to
Timo Geusch
[Snipped Text]

I'm finding that corrosion is a problem in the NE here too. On the Hondas, and particularly the Civic, brake pipe and fuel pipe corrosion needs particular attention.

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Hmm, interesting. But if you think that's bad then you can probably guess what a car that's been parked in a swamp at 25-35C looks like. 'cos most of Florida is pretty much a swamp, even if they built houses on it.

The alligators tend to wear sharp clothes and have real estate signs up in their offices these days...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

You *do* realise that large parts of Florida tend to be a tad more humid, with a tad more salt in the air and a lot warmer than the UK? Like, ideal corrosion breeding ground?

And what makes you think I'm American? The fact that I can speak in complete sentences and am generally thought to be able to conduct intelligent conversation?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Most cars are galvanised on the outer surfaces only. The problem comes from moisture trapped between skins on the untreated surfaces. This is even more of an issue in warm, humid areas such as Florida.

That's not to mention the damage the humidity does to brake pipes etc.

  1. He didn't say wife.

  1. Timo is a pretty well known poster around these parts.

Perhaps you'd like to engage brain before posting in future....

Reply to
SteveH
[Snipped Text]

Was that Reverse gear you selected then? ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hewitt

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not necessarily.

My SWMBO is not my wife.

Reply to
Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Adrian saying something like:

As long as the two don't meet, all will be well.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon