astra 2004 steamed up headlights

On an astra 2004 how long are the head light meant to stay steamed up. Mine never completely clear. Is this wrong, the garage say they will clear in a certain time and that there is not problem., but I think I have a problem.

Can someone fill me in the truth here.

Reply to
Furby

They shouldn't steam up at all. Water is getting into the light units, either through the bulb socket seals, or the seals between the lens and reflectors. If that is the case they wont clear by themselves.You could remove the bulbs and gently warm the lamps with a hairdrier. That would clear the water out of the light units, but unless the sealing problem is fixed, the problem would return. It'll ruin the reflectors in time, but it should be fixed under your guarantee. Maybe they're hoping the lights will outlast the guarantee. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Rubbish! God what rubbish some of them talk.

, but I think I have a problem.

Yes, you have. Water's getting in from somewhere.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Robin Graham

Seriously, they all do that.

I'll guess you are talking about the previous astra and not the 'new astra'.

My family have 4 astras 1 x 2.2 Coupe and 3 x 1.8 SXi. They all exhibit this 'feature'.

However, I am told that if they don't clear after 15 minutes of the lights being on then VX will replace them under warranty (which your's is under).

Our's all clear fine once the lights have been on a bit.

If you go to

or
you will find lots of people with the same issue.

HTH

LL

Reply to
LiviLion

Thus spake Furby unto the assembled multitudes:

The truth is that the garage is talking bollocks. A seal has failed and is letting water in. If the car is still under warranty, go back to the dealer from whom you bought it and insist that the headlamp unit be replaced under warranty.

Reply to
Andy Clews