Astra - 'Detonation' Advise

Ive been told my Astra (P reg 35k) suffers from "Detonation" which i understand is caused from a build up of carbon in the combustion chamber causing a small pre-firing of the ignition. Example of the effects of this problem are, when the car is under load, say for example travelling up a hill in, i put my foot down a bit harder on the accerator and it sounds like a heavy Rattle/pinking noise from the engine. The engine seems perfect apart from this annoying rattle(ive even had it put on a crypton tuner and the guy said there was nothing mechanically wrong with the engine and it was infact this detonation problem) Also the engine has never run on after the ignition is switched off. Someone mentioned to me that there is a petrol additive or spray that might get it sorted, with stripping the head being last resort. Is there any petrol additive/spray that someone could recommend that can physically remove the carbon ? Any other advise would be welcome...

Thanks in Advance,

-- Simon

Reply to
PastyMan

Fill the tank with petrol, and then go and thrash the nuts off the car. Get the revs up high and keep them there. Best way to do it is to get it on a motorway with no cameras and run it up and down near top speed a bit, or get on a twisty road where you're constantly braking and acellerating and keep the revs up. The engine gets hot and blows / burns all the carbon out. When you've run out of petrol, you should be sorted. When you've done, alter you driving style so that you give the car more revs and do some journeys of a decent length.

Reply to
Doki

What a strangely familiar post. You're not Peter by any chance are you?

Reply to
pb

If you go & search some American news groups or search for water & decoke on uk.rec.cars.maintenance there's a couple of posts about the easy solution :-) 35K on P reg implies it's never been driven hard so that might cure it.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
10K boost x 2 cans worth
Reply to