Astra Alarm Problem (W reg)

How can I get my dog to stay in the back of my estate, without the alarm going off ??

I have seen the same estates with dogs in the back, with dors fully locked, and the alarm not going off.

The difference that I can see between the cars, is that on the rear side windows of mine, there are 2 coils of copper with alarm printed on it. There are leads going to them that look as thou they have push on connectors

What are these for ??? and if thats the problem how can I defeat them ???

Reply to
iamwhatiam

Your alarm must have either an interior space sensor (usually two little microphone-like things one each side) or an unusually sensitive movement detector.

If the first of the above then just remove the sensors (unplug them) if the second then there is probably an adjuster on the alarm unit, turn down the sensitivity.

Find out the make of the alarm as I don't think astras had alarms as standard fitment.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Check the manual for the alarm. There should be an option to arm it without the internal movement sensors being enabled.

Reply to
Conor

The coils on the side windows aren't the problem - that's just so the alarm will trigger if someone breaks the window.

You've probably got interior movement sensors. On the Zafira (which has mostly Astra bits), you have to press in both from interior light buttons after turning the ignition off. This sets the alarm into a different mode (the red lights flash with a different sequence), and when you lock the car the interior sensors are not turned on. I think you have to press the interior light buttons within a certain time after removing the ignition key.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles

The interior light switchs in the roof, have 2 what i would say are microphones adjacent to them, that are inbuilt into the whole switch moulding.

Are these motion detectors. i do not think I can unplug them ?? as I would have to get the whole switch assembly off.

Anybody have a scan of the particular pages of the manual ??

As a side point why does the haynes not show the alarm system

Reply to
iamwhatiam

it sounds like it is an original system if they are built in. there will be a sequence to disable them, on my car you alarm it twice to leave them off.

Haynes rarely tell you anything useful or anything from the owners manual

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Ian

Simple one, I had the same on my old astra.

Pull the light switch to turn the interior lights on, this will stop the alarm from arming.

Reply to
PhilÅ

Trouble is the interior lights then stay on, and the alarm led still flashes on the dash (so not sure if its armed or not).

Reply to
iamwhatiam

IIRC, the LED then flashes much faster to indicate that the interior alarm is off.

It's not difficult to do once you've got the hang of it - assuming you do have individual front interior light buttons.

Before I realised that my Zafira had interior movement sensors, I once locked my wife in the car when parked in a dark street while going to get a take-away - she was livid when I got back as every time she moved an eyelid the alarm went off.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles