Coil over Strut

MR2 Turbo back suspension leg, took the car for it'd MOT today & it failed on movement at the top of the suspension leg on the nearside. Taken the unit off the car & it looks like the nut hasn't been tightened properly. So theoretically all I need to do is tighten the nut up a couple of turns. However how do you stop the shaft from turning whilst trying to do this???

Oscar Over & Frustrated

Reply to
Oscar

Either there's a flat or a hex shaped hole on the top.

Reply to
Conor

That's what I have always had before but in this case there was a plastic insert at the top. Just been to check thinking that this could just be a dirt seal have pulled it out, but it's just round.

Reply to
Oscar

Air impact wrench

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Is this a complete spring/damper coilover unit?

Reply to
adder1969

scratch that!

Reply to
adder1969

Did that they couldn't help it wouldn't tighten any further, so off to Halfrauds & bought a set of spring compressors, fastened them in, pair of stilson's on shaft & breaker bar on the nut. After much huffing, puffing & fffing it finally came away. The top of the strut has been moving & damaged itself & the mounting, so it a new strut & mounting, Mr T wants £240 plus the vodka for them. Thanks for your help, noe I have to decide what to do, buy new or go wrecking.

Oscar

Reply to
Oscar

Mr T as in Toyota?? never go to a dealer for shocks!

Reply to
adder1969

I disagree - I've had many shocks at dealers!

;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan