Jeep Liberty Fog Lights

Okay, I've got the aftermarket foglights wired anf they would work if I connected them up direct to the battery - but I'd like to be legal and wire them to work on dipped beam. I'm told that there is a harness socket for the OEM foglights and that it is somewhere on the left side front wing/ fender.

I've searched but can't find any unused terminal blocks. Just in case it is reversed for the RHD model I've checked on the right hand side but still no joy.

Can anyone tell me where to find it - if it exists?

Also, where have people fed accessory cables throught he firewall? I'm looking at the left hand side where the main harness comes through, but something keeps blocking any feed I put through.

I don't want to drill any more holes, so any guidance would be welcome.

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

That harness is good for 55w lights. What are you aftermarket fogs?

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 > Okay, I've got the aftermarket foglights wired anf they would work if

Reply to
twaldron

You can wire the relay so that they only come on with the low beams. Use the hot wire to the low beam light to power the relay.

Reply to
billy ray

Whent hey installed the renegade lights on my Liberty, they drilled a hole in the firewall. Do you not have the instructions or are they some aftermarlet that isn't OEM ?

There were a lot of things about the install that made me just take it in and have it done. I was glad I did, that way if I had a meltdown, it was covered.

Kate

2O]]]]]]]O6 Rubi
Reply to
Kate

I've thought about that as a possibility but if there is an unused Foglight terminal lying aorund it would be much better to use that.since the Foglight switch on the column stalk operates the rear fogs, I presume that it is also wired to run the front fogs - I just need to find the pick up point - if it exists.

If all else fails I'll go for the dipped beam as the feed for the relay.

Thanks

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

Instructions? The company that I got the lights from realised that no-one reads instructions till something goes wrong. So to save money on the package they don't publish any fitting instructions :-)

That's a fair point. I would have fitted Jeep OEM fogs but.... they cost about $175 plus carriage, and tax this end. So from the US they cost me about $200.

If I buy the same lights here they cost about £180, go figure.

So, I buy cheaper aftermarket lights and mount them myself - I've had them working off the battery, shipped from the US at £48, a quarter of the price of a UK bought set.

As for having them fitted professionally, well, it's a Jeep and if I went to the local Jeep Dealer to have them fitted I'd be looking at a workshop rate of anything between £50 and £90 per hour. I'm reluctant to drill a hole in the firewayy because - A/ I don't know what's on the other side, and B/ Even if I wanted to I'd have to remove too much gubbins from either side to get a drill in to do the job.

If I go anywhere else, there is a very good chance that they won't know any more than I do because there aren't THAT many Liberty's about, a few, but not that many.

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

Ewan -

When I want something run through the firewall of my JGC, I take it to an automotive audio installation shop. They do that all day for a living, and know exactly where to run the wires. The last time I had them run some wires, it cost me $30 U.S. You might check with some installers in your area to see what they would charge. Sure saves a lot of grief, and the results will look very professional.

Dick

Reply to
RAH

My Liberty was still at the dealership when I was there a few days ago. I am headed back to town maybe as soon as tomorrow - no promises. I will make a point of looking to see where he drilled and shoot you a photo if I can.

Oh, and being the goofy broad that I am, you typed 'fog lights', I read 'running lights'. Fog lights are a WHOLE different can of worms than the light bar on top that I was thinking of. Duh!

Anyway, I'll see what I can do to help you from that end. I may even get some techincal advice from ray or Joey in the shop.

You ought to just call the guys down at the service department, and ask them. You never know, they might just tell you how, or even print you out a set of destructions :)

Kate

[...]

: >

Reply to
Kate

After skinned knuckles and exhausting the angl saxon vocabulary I managed to get the leads through alongside the main harness.

I've taken the relay feed off the dipped beam as Billy Ray suggested, works a treat. But I'm still looking for the OEM socket if it exists.

ROTFLMHO - you have obviously never experienced the customer services of main auto dealers in the UK. You would be very lucky to actually see a technician never mind talk to one. Anyway, thanks for the offer of help and the suggestions.

Having driven Land Rovers for more years than I care to remember - and I mean the real things not Discos or Rangeys, I have been used to wiring up things without relays, and if you needed to drill a hole you just picked a spot and went for it :-) I'm being a whole lot more careful with this Jeep but I am finding my way around it, bit by bit.

Ewan Scott

Reply to
Ewan Scott

Ewan Scott did pass the time by typing:

The most important thing about drilling holes is making sure there isn't some expensive fiddly bit on the other side. :]

Reply to
DougW

I prefer the low beam actuation myself.... I always turned them on with the headlights as I like the extra light directed on the sides....

Reply to
billy ray

In some places it's the law to have fog lights only come on with low beams. Driving lights on the other hand are supposed to come on with highbeams.

Mike

Mike Romain

I don't like the way Billy Ray worded that. You should take the trigger power only off the low beams. The relay needs it's own fused power line.

If you take the relay's power from the low beam, you will very quickly burn out the headlight switch circuit. It isn't designed for that heavy load.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike what I said was:

"You can wire the relay so that they only come on with the low beams. Use the hot wire to the low beam light to power the relay. "

to which he replied: "... If all else fails I'll go for the dipped beam as the feed for the relay. "

I did not say or intend to imply nor what he understood what I said was "Wire the foglights into the low beam hot wire"

But perhaps I should have said: "You can wire the relay so that they only come on with the low beams. Use the hot wire to the low beam light to trigger the relay that directs fused battery power to the foglights."

Personally I would rather hook them up in the manner I explained that to install the factory switch (even if I got the factory switch for free) because I always turned the fog lights on with the headlights as I like the extra light thrown off to the sides.

On my T-Birds I could leave the fog light switch permanently in the 'on' position as the fog light relay was powered by the lowbeam headlights as opposed the Jeep setup where I have separate switch positions built into the multi-function stalk. If I were to add driving lights I would use the high beam circuit to trigger the relay to direct fused battery power to the driving lights.

Reply to
billy ray

I had you figured out, I just meant it was a bit ambiguous and have seen it done the other way too many times. His reply was also ambiguous.

Mike

billy ray wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"DougW" wrote : The most important thing about drilling holes is making sure : there isn't some expensive fiddly bit on the other side. :] : LOLOLOLOL.... "expensive fiddly bit"

hahahhahahaaaaaa

Reply to
Kate

"billy ray" wrote

*snip* : I did not say or intend to imply nor what he understood what I said was

ouch. now my head hurts

Reply to
Kate

Kate,

I was a bit cranky. My parents initially told me of plans for a family Easter shindig with some out of town family for Saturday and my elder daughter was having a shindig for other parts of the family on Sunday.

Well Saturday morning I call mom to confirm the time and I find her shindig has been rescheduled to Sunday because the out-of-towners are unable to come (but she neglected to notify me... Hmmmmm)

Anyway now I won't be seeing my parents on Saturday and Sunday I already have plans to be driving the other direction for another shindig being given at the same time.

Now.. flash forward to Sunday... I call my son-in law's cell phone to confirm everything is on schedule and he says they are not home... they are at a local park with Zoë (my grand-puppy) and my other daughter and her fiancé are.... who knows where....

There I am at 2 pm and the only one there with me is the cat and she is locked inside the house....

Reply to
billy ray

Oh for Chrissake. What a bunch of inconsiderate people they are. The whole lot.

You should have come on out here and gotten your mower fixed. We were here all day, working on the tiller. BBQ'd some chicken, just bummed around.

It's not too late to change your mind by the way, the offer is always open.

So, this daughter that stood you up, is the same one getting married in Hawaii? You may want to be ceratin that she isn't going to stand you up there too. Maybe give all of them a little poke and remind tham that it's not polite to stand people up ESPECIALLY good old reliable DAD!

As far as your mom, maybe a nudge, not a poke. You have to be very careful with moms. They can be vicious.

Sorry your day was bad.

Kate

: > "billy ray" wrote : > *snip* : > : I did not say or intend to imply nor what he understood what I said was : >

: >

: > ouch. now my head hurts : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Kate

Well.... it went on from there....

Dinner was to be outside if there was a break in the hailstorms and flash floods and when I got there the 'new' patio set was disassembled and laying in a pile in the mud.(used set from the source of all evil in the universe)

As I had nothing to do while waiting for someone to show up I started putting it together. Being used It had no assembly instructions (not that I would have read them) and it took a couple tries to figure in what order parts had to be assembled. Eventually I got it all put together.

Ya know...... I hope there is some special place in hell for the people who design these things.

There is more to the story but it is not as exciting as these first two installments.

Reply to
billy ray