Audi 100 2.3E avant 1988 fuel pump location

The car has been sitting for a while, and now the fuel pump does not work (there is no buzzing sound). The car started, (I guess that there was pressure in the system), then died, and will not start again.

I checked the fuse, and there is +12V for a few seconds every time I turn the key. So I guess that the fault must be at the fuel pump.

How do I access fuel pump? From behind the rear seats under the carpet??

Reply to
Yvan

I'm thinking that it's more likely to be a relay - I used to have the same issue with E-class Mercs.

Reply to
asahartz

K-jet? I would suspect it's similar to Golfs of that era - on those it's hanging under the car, in front of the fuel tank. There's also the lift punp that's actually within the tank, and yes, these are normally accessible via a hatch in the boot floor or under the rear seats. The one hanging under the car is the one that actually provides some pressure.

Reply to
Doki

Nedavno asahartz napisa:

I think that it's like this: +12V -> fuel pump relay -> fuse -> fuel pump. And I checked, there is +12V at the fuse for a few seconds every time I turn the key, so I guessed that the relay is OK.

Reply to
Yvan

Nedavno Doki napisa:

I checked at some documentation I have downloaded from the Internet, and it looks like that I have only one pump in the tank, and some "fine fuel filter" near the tank, standard fuel filter near the engine.

Since it's downloaded I am not sure it is correct, that's why I'm asking here.

And I could not find anything under the rear seats.

Reply to
Yvan

Is it injected or carbed? If it's injected, it'll have 2 pumps, if it's carbed, it'll have one.

Reply to
Doki

Nedavno Doki napisa:

It's K-jet. Are you sure it has two fuel pumps? I've checked with Elsa and it seems it has only one fuel pump. I do not have Elsa installed on my PC (I use Linux), and I am not sure I can use Elsa properly, but I found only one pump.

Reply to
Yvan

The injected Golfs of this era used K-jet, and they had lift pumps in the tank, integrated into the level sender. Then there is a second, external pump to create pressure. I'd be very surprised if there is a major difference between how the VW injected cars and the Audis were set up - they've always been big on parts sharing.

If you change pumps, you may have to set up the control pressures etc. on the k-jet system.

Reply to
Doki