audi with leaking heater matrix.

Hi all, I've got an Audi A6 that has a slight leak in the passenger side heater matrix - when the air con is blowing anything other than cold air, it steams the windscreen up. The car loses coolant slowly (like 400-500ml in

12,000 miles).

Would radweld or similar help stop the leak? The car isn't worth spending the money a replacement would need so a bodge is preferred, even if it leaves the heater matrix half blocked and not able to kick out much heat. As it stand over winter the air con has to be on cold, which is worse than only being able to blow slightly warm air.

Any other ideas before I give this a try?

Thanks.

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Use K-seal instead

Andy C

Reply to
Andy Cap

Thanks for the tip, I've got some on the way. Just got to figure out the best way to put it in now - the car was recently serviced so the water level is near the max. Drop some of the coolant, or overfill it?

Reply to
Simon Finnigan
[...]

Use something like a turkey baster to drop the level.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

That won't work, the inlet is blocked in a way to make that impossible, but I could easily get a thinner tube through and either block one end and pull it out but by bit. Much easier than the original option of finding a drain plug new the bottom of the system :-)

Reply to
Simon Finnigan

Thanks for the tip, it worked brilliantly. And I didn't need to remove any coolant from the car - the bottle of K-Seal was tiny. The pictures only made it look like a big 5 litre bottle :-)

Thanks again!

Reply to
Simon Finnigan