Leaking heater matrix? Worth trying Radweld or similar?

My 1989 RR Classic is damp under the front floor mats with what feels and smells like coolant, so I'm assuming I have a slight leak in the heater matrix (coolant level itself seems to be ok). Any thoughts on trying something like Radweld until I have time to pull the dash apart to renew the matrix? I'm always nervous that it might do more harm (elsewhere) than good (in the matrix)! Engine is a 300TDI.

Simon

Reply to
Simon Oates

before you get involved stripping out the dash check the condition of the pipes and clips in the engine bay where they meet the heater core a small leak here runs nicely into the cabin Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Sat, 13 May 2006 16:43:36 +0100, "Simon Oates" enlightened us thusly:

I did actually get radweld to work on such a leak. Mind, it wasn't actually generating water on the floor, just steam out of the windscreen vents when cold. Turn the blower on and it instantly mists up the screen...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've used Radweld three times and twice it has worked a treat. Once was "on the road" in an old Citroen that was dripping water fairly quickly out of the bottom of the rad - enough to cause a stream of water within a few minutes of stopping. The guy in Halfords where I stopped was very helpful and fetched me a couple of kettles full of water - he was amazed himself that it stopped such a leak. As someone else said, I'd check the pipes first, but if it is not that then I'd definitely give Radweld a shot. It won't do any harm to the RR.

Matt

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Reply to