auto boxes that alarm ?

Hi, after quite a bit of head scratching it seemed to me that a reasonably fairly cheap and reliable car to buy next would be an early Toyota Yaris. Nobody seems to have many complaints about it (that I've seen anyway) and I thought I would go for the automatic gearbox.

However; this Thursday 22 December in my local north London newspaper 'The Press' , on page 32 the motorist correspondent wrote a survey of the latest Yaris.

He writes, " I found the automatic jumpy and not easy to use. In fully automatic mode it is constantly searching for the best gearing and lurches alarmingly when making its mind up".

Have Toyota introduced a new auto gearbox for this latest car, or have others experienced this kind of trouble with the earlier Yaris's auto boxes? thanks

Reply to
jw 1111

Sounds like he just isn't used to automatics. After driving it a while you get used to what it will do at different throttle positions, load, speeds, etc. You'll be driving one before you buy anyway, right?

Zimmy

The fact that he refers to "automatic mode" suggests that he's not using a proper automatic gearbox. Automatic gearboxes don't have an automatic mode, they are automatic already! He's probably referring to one of those semi-automatic, boxes which are actually manual gearboxes which use servos to move the gears, you can put them into manual or automatic mode.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Thanks...you are right. I emailed Toyota and they responded that it was not the normal automatic gear box, but one as you described.

Are these a bit of an unpleasant driving experience ( and/or less desirable than the conventional automatic box ) as the motoring correspondent described or would you think it's just him ? Would the assembled alumini in this newgroup consider buying such a gearbox.

Reply to
jw 1111