Auto transmission gear selection

Hi all, I'm having some difficulty selecting reverse gear, also drive appears to engage when neutral is selected. I've been googling around for some info and from what I've found it seems that the transmission shift cable may be out of adjustment or the transmission fluid filters may be gunged up. Do you think either of these is the likely cause? For info, it's a Ford Mondeo zetec 2.0L, 51 plate. Thanks

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

obvious question, but have you checked the fluid level in the box ?

Reply to
reg

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's your problem.

Mondeo slush-boxes are well known for being expensive liabilities.

Reply to
SteveH

That's certainly the case on the old Mk2, but surely they'd have fixed it on the new ones.

I was under the impression that the auto box on the new one is different to the old.

The symptoms were the opposite of the ones above: In drive it doesn't go anywhere.

Check the fluid. If it's black and/or stinky, you've got a problem.

Given your symptoms, I'd *personally* think it's a linkage out or something.

I'd still be very wary of a 2.0 petrol auto though :-)

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

Rob

Reply to
Robbie Mayhem

If the shift cable was out of adjustment neutral etc would be in the wrong place relative to the gear lever. So if moving it slightly from the neutral position gives you neutral, there's your answer.

There aren't any filters really in a transmission. Possibly a gauze one on the pump input. But if that was blocked you'd have no drive at all.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)