Avensis Strange Noise

Hi,

My 2001 Avensis 1.8 VVTi has recently deveolped a new noise from the front that is mainly noticeable when accelerating or slowing down between 10 - 30 mph. It does it whether the clutch is in or not or in gear or not. The best way I can describe the noise is like a washing machine coming towards the end of slowing down after the fast spin.

At first I thought that it was the gearbox after I had one go on my previous (98) avensis but it doesnt seem the same noise and also it is noticeable when "free wheeling" out of gear or with the clutch in.

Any ideas before I spend a fortune on having a mechanic tell me that they all do it, or diagnose a massive fault that will cost a fortune to put right?

Thanks,

Paul

Reply to
paulphilipwilkinson

have you jacked it up and spun the front wheels ? could be a wheel bearing.

Reply to
reg

I have and the rattle is far more obvious on the near side than off-side. Although it is there on the off-side.

Reply to
paulphilipwilkinson