Rover 214 rattle

I have rattle coming from my Rover 214 (1994) with about 71000 on the clock.

The rattle occurs when pulling away in any gear between about 1-2000 rpm. Above 2000 rpm everything seems fine. The car engages each gear fine and pulls away fine but there is the rattle. Nothing bad just a rattle. I notice there doesn't seem to be a rattle when the revs are dropping just climbing.

Also there is no rattle with the car stationary with the clutch in or out with the engine in the 1-2000 rev range or idling.

I think the car had a re-con gearbox only 15000 miles ago so I'm reluctant to think it is a gearbox problem.

A clutch noise? But the clutch shows no sign of slipping. Any suggestions.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

There's no rattle when idling, just when you pull away? Does it make any difference how hard you pull away?

The clutch could easily make a noise without there being any slipping. The two things are not necessarily related.

Are you able to pin point which bit of the car the noise is coming from? It might be a rattly pedal for all you know.

Rob Graham

Reply to
Rob graham

Catalyst heat shield?

Reply to
SteveH

pinking?

Reply to
mrcheerful

Hmmm perhaps. The car has had a replacement cat so I believe. I'll check.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

The rattle is more noticeable if you accelerate harder. If I accelerate very gently the rattle is less or not there..

Reply to
david.cawkwell

No not pinking. I don't think the noise is coming from the engine.

Reply to
david.cawkwell

This symptom may indicate big end failure but it rather depends on the definition of 'rattle'. Big ends tend to make a relatively deep noise, whereas a loose coil spring that rattles in sympathy with the engine is rather higher. OTOH the big end noise is unlikely to disappear at higher revs.

Try to pinpoint the noise with a stethoscope (a bit of rubber tubing held in your ear and the other end moved about likely noise spots).

Rob

Reply to
Rob graham

No not big end. A bit difficult because it only does it when the car is moving. Maybe if I tie myself to bonnet while my assistant drives along. hmmm. :-)

Strange thing. The car had been left standing before I started using it. Noise now gone? Maybe lack of oil somewhere and got worked round or something. But drives fine now. Very strange. I think I'll check oil levels in the gearbox this weekend.

Rob graham wrote:

accelerate

noise,

Reply to