Battery charged by alternator.

No - I know what I read and I know the source that wrote it. In fact the tone of your posts demonstrates that you have a problem in carrying on with proper communication. Therefore, I am not at all interested in what you are 'inclined to suggest' - you will fit nicely now in my killfile so I will never be forced to acknowledge your pompous posts again.

*PLONK* :-D
Reply to
PunkJack

Perhaps you could quote the source, then? It seems a rather surprising suggestion.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

I've just been told in a different newsgroup that alternators can put out over 15 V in cold conditions. I have no idea whether that's BS either.

It was a thread on a home built generator.

Reply to
Malc

If it's only 8 months old I'd suspect a problem elsewhere or something may be draining the battery while it's parked.

Reply to
John

The message from PunkJack contains these words:

That's nice, dear.

Reply to
Guy King

I'm not convinced you can read actually.

Or that you know what the f*ck you're talking about.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

The message from John Greystrong contains these words:

Or acurately!

Reply to
Guy King

It was in my CGLI course.

Reply to
Conor

Well yes it was from a chap in Wilco and he wasn't a spotty faced yoof either. However he said he got his information from Exide reps and he was insistent upon being correct and had me thinking enough to post here for the opinions of others more up to date than I am. It does seem as if the majority here disagree with him though and although I am not qualified to disagree with him I also was not sure he was correct but according to Conner he may well have had a point if he said an alternator could not charge a battery to more than 80% of capacity pete

Reply to
turtill

Correct. I should have said it was relayed from Exides reps to the chap at Wilco. pete

Reply to
turtill

Your post is about different types of batteries surely. pete

Reply to
turtill

It appear it was me at fault as I didn't do enough daylight miles between stops and starts.

Yes I believe your post to be the closest to the mark I have read so far and fits in with my own old fashioned reasoning. pete

Reply to
turtill

Who persuaded me not to buy a new battery;-) pete

Reply to
turtill

Yes the problem was in the way I only used the car for night times and sat around with the music/heater/windows etc being used and insufficient milage being done to restore the battery. I am hoping that is true anyhow. pete

Reply to
turtill

The message from snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com contains these words:

That doesn't sound right. Way back in the days of dynamos and Morris Minors then yes, car electrical systems didn't really like lots of night driving with lights on, cold starts, cold batteries etc.

But anything built in the last twenty years really should have any problems at all unless you're doing 100 yards at a time then stopping and restarting from cold.

Reply to
Guy King

Exactly but in the old days if a car wouldn't start we could push start it. My car has everything electric and is automatic too. I have been driving a mile to the local docks where I keep starting the car to warm it up and the windows are always going up and down to speak to people. pete

Reply to
turtill

If you charge a battery up to absolutely 100% it will gas heavily - which you don't want as it would need frequent topping up. But then there's no need to otherwise a car wouldn't start after being parked for five minutes with the lights on...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

If it's really cold then the temperature compensation will do that.

Reply to
Duncanwood

That'll do it.

Reply to
Duncanwood

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember PunkJack saying something like:

Certainly used to be good practice to trickle charge a new battery before putting it into service, although a lot of places didn't bother. New battery technology may have changed the need for that, but it seems that according to the Exide bloke it's still a good idea.

As far as charging up with an alternator goes, I've never noticed a lack of full charge or battery life on any battery that's been charged up from flat with the car's alternator.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon