Test alternator by measuring voltage at battery?

Can I test my alternator by measuring the voltage on the battery terminals when the ebgine is running?

What sort of voltage should I measure if the alternator is ok?

Thanks Alex

If it helps know more about the car then it's an old car (Mazda 1.3) from about 15 years ago.

Reply to
Alex Coleman

yes you can you *should* expect around 13-14 volts .

Reply to
reg

Yes.

About 13.8 - 14.4 volts.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Corr! Is that all? When I take the battery out and charge it with my cronky old 4 amp charger I get a voltage reading of 15.2 volts while the charger is attached.

Reply to
Alex Coleman

Then you've either got a very sick battery with a high internal resistance or an even worse voltmeter...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You are talking about a mains charger but your original question is with regard to your cars ability to charge the battery. If your readings are around the 14v mark then I'd be happy and not mention the cronky old charger.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

That cronky old charger is unregulated, if left for longer than the time required for a full charge it will damage the battery. The alternator voltage is regulated and keeps the battery at a voltage that it will charge up at but not suffer reduced life. Any more than

14.5 volts will start causing other problems like burnt out bulbs.

With all the lights on the voltage should rise from about 12.5/13v at idle to 14v at 2000rpm. Any more than 15.5v is usually a faulty regulator in the alternator and it needs fixing.

Peter Hill