Battery connected up wrong way round!

But mini owners didn't mind that. It felt like the (manually adjusted) back brake adjusters on my traveller needed doing every month, in the early 80's.

Reply to
newshound

There did exist (although not on Minis IIRC) electronically controlled carburettors that used a lamda sensor.

Reply to
Duncan Wood
[...]

...and the front drums with twin leading shoes were a pig to set up properly, especially as one adjuster was behind the steering arm.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan
[...]

ISTR Minis had some form of fuel injection from '91?

Not sure when electronic ignition came in, but I would have thought it was around the same time.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

certainly they were on metros in the very early 90's, it was just a special SU iirc, but they definitely had electronic ignition.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

I still have the special open ended cranked spanner for those, and I used it recently on the mini based three wheeler

Reply to
Mrcheerful

There were certainly electronic SUs which used stepper motors to control idle speed and mixture. Not seen one that used a lambda sensor, though. You'd normally only have that with a cat.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Welcome to the insanity :-)

Reply to
Duncan Wood

You've probably not seen one because you are English. The Americans did use them in the late 70s to early 80s, with catalytic converters.

They were produced for the usual reason - to meet emissions regulations without having to pay for a proper fuel injection system. Ford, GM and Chrysler each produced a different variant of the design sold as "feedback carburetors" - didn't last very long because fuel injection dropped in price.

I've seen one on a Ford F250, I think they were generally fitted to similar tanks.

Reply to
Steve Firth

No I'm not. What an insult. ;-)

Yes.

BL may have continued with them rather longer since they owned SU - but not a fuel injection company. And although they did do some experiments with AE and injection, they eventually left it to Lucas to develop a system for them. Thus consigning SU to the scrap heap eventually. Madness.

Early SD1 and Triumph TR8s for export to the US had the first version of the Lucas injection system - and pretty awful it was too. Less power than carbs. ;-)

The robotised SUs actually worked rather well - when they were working properly. Had a Montego 1600 with that system and it was lively and economical. And very injection like on a cold start.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Reply to
tony sayer

In article , Dave Plowman (News) scribeth thus

Must remember not to post too early in the day!! must have been visualising an AC delta connected unit;!..

thats my excuse.

Be interesting to know how the OP got on with this if he's there?....

Ones I had didn't come with a radio!.

But that was the main reason for reversing the polarity....

Reply to
tony sayer

plus bust your arm if it were the old style crank units

Reply to
steve robinson

I have a dim memory of such a thing (with a cat) on a Metro or other Rover product, maybe?

Some models of Skoda Favorit had a Pierburg carb and a cat, as well.

Chris Bartram

Well, the Mini needed short intervals anyway, for the grease nipples...

Reply to
Chris Bartram

Wow, you just missed electronics. SWMBO had a 96 mini with MEMS and SP injection.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

everything petrol powered after 92 has to meet the harsher emissions and have a cat. a 91 mini still had a carb. with electronic ign. an ecm unit made by joe lucas

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Of course I have no experience in misconnecting the battery. But I wouldn't think the engine would start. The ECU would not work for a start...

Reply to
johannes

Would it not make sense to read all the other replies before posting? Otherwise, it makes you look a bit silly.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Everything after 31st July 92 had to have a CAT when sold new.

But only the vehicles listed in VOSA car emissions data has to have retained the CAT and now needs a CAT to pass MOT. The match has to be exact. MOT tester can't just say data for Mini with TBi will do for testing a carb model.

The only MG Rover Mini's on the list are the "XN" with MPi or TBi (throttle body) and only after certain serial numbers (which could be later than Aug '92). Any with serial numbers before those listed don't have to have a CAT. From VOSA - The Model Code consists of the 4th & 5th digit of the VIN number and defines the model. The Engine Code consists of the 8th digit of the VIN number and defines the engine type. The Serial Number consists of the last 6 digits of the VIN number. Mini Model Code XN

1.3l Auto TBi Engine Code X Serial No 059845 onwards 1.3l Manual TBi Engine Code X Serial No 059822 onwards 1.3l TBi Engine Code Y Serial No 060488 onwards 1.3l MPi Engine Code Z

They started making "XN" in 1990. Neither of the carb engines with a "D" or "M" engine code are in the VOSA data, so are given a non CAT test and don't need a CAT to pass MOT. Doesn't mater if it was first used after

31st July '92 so long as it was first used before Aug '95, it doesn't have to have the cat, decat and cash it in. (though I think the higher exhaust temp from the CAT lighting off makes exhaust systems last longer)
The law demanded a CAT be fitted, so it was. It didn't demand that current production be re-tested with CAT to declare emissions so VOSA didn't get emissions data for their book. Law doesn't prevent removal of CAT. Most (if not all) carb + CAT vehicles are not on the list. A few low volume EFI vehicles that were in production prior to Aug '92 and continued on sale after Aug '92 didn't have declared emissions so aren't on list either. Any car first used on or after 1st Aug '95 has a CAT test to default limits and needs CAT.

1st BET test.

Then "CAT 1"
Unfortunately if a car that is not in the book somehow passes the "BET" test the tester may not be aware that the car has a "non CAT" test and thus incorrectly fail it for not having a CAT fitted.

Reply to
Peter Hill