Battery leak best way to clean up?

Mk3 Focus (may 2011) with a very slightly leaking battery, obviously I'll change the battery but what is the best way of cleaning up the acid residue? If it was an old banger I'd have just cleaned it with bleach and a bit of matt black paint, but as this is quite new still is there a better way do it?

Believe this is out of warranty, please see my other post...

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Bleach? You want something alkaline. I'd be tempted to use sodium bicarb, or a very dilute solution of caustic soda, followed by a lot of rinsing with plain water.

Reply to
Huge

I was wondering if there was something propriety which was recommended, otherwise the bicarb sounds good, not a big fan of caustic if I can help it ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Ok, all done. Fortunately the plastic battery tray contained most of the leak but removing it to clean the metal underneath was a bitch ;) Yes I know it's easy to get out once you've figured out how!

Anyway, looks like some joker replaced the original battery with some nasty cheap shit, no obvious leak so I'm assuming it doesn't like the smart charge system and it's venting.

Off shopping tomorrow for a decent replacement.

Lee

Reply to
Lee

Too late for you, but for other readers household ammonia solution from good ironmongers is also good. If you are not quite sure how far it has spread (e.g. if you have a leak on the carpet from a spare battery in the boot) you can splash it about liberally and anything which doesn't react will just evaporate.

Reply to
newshound

Washing soda will also clean the acid up.

Reply to
Rob