K&N - Best way to clean??

Hi all,

Finally got round to cleaning my 200tdi K&N filter last night.

The proper cleaner worked wonders getting the oil and rubbish off/out BUT it did not seem to cean to remove the oil impregnated mud that has lodged itself between the filter material and the steel gauze.

A stiff paintbrush removed some more mud but I still couldnt get it all out.

K&N Destructions say you never direct water from the outside inwards as this only makes things worse...

So how can I get it out, or should I leave the last 10% - 15% of it in. There is only 1 real dirty bit and thats about the size of the air intake pipe that goes into the canister.

On a slightly different topic, do others get mud into air filter? I cant actually remember driving in mud that deep that it could be sucked in.

I guess a snorkel may be a good idea, if only to feed fresh air! Oh no, the Mantec / Safari debate again!!!

Thanks Jon

Reply to
Jon

Does it get in as mud or as dust then turn into "mud" with the oil present in the filter...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wonder what would happen if you put it in a washing machine? Just a thought :)

Reply to
jOn

All that bouncing about might not do it any good, how about the dishwasher?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

How about using the K&N cleaning kit - includes a detergent to get the crud out, then a spray-on oil to recharge it.

Although, given my recent experience with the K&N in my Disco, I'm tempted to suggest the best way is to throw away the K&N and put a paper filter in instead :)

Reply to
David French