Rover 200 problem

Hello all

Rover 200 T reg........ a couple of weeks ago car stopped while husband was driving slowly through shallow flood on road. AA diagnosed problem with distributer cap, fitted a new one, car OK for rest of holiday. A week after we got home, tried to start car, plenty of battery power (no problem with lights etc) but no response when ignition key was turned other than a click. Took half a dozen tries to start car. Car started no problem next 4 journeys, then refused again, but started after 2nd turn of key. This has happened twice more since then.

Very broke, can't afford garage bill. Would appreciate any ideas/advice as to cause and repair.....am very reliant on car as husband has to use it for

80 mile round trip to work daily and I'm worried to death it will let him down. Husband too proud to ask - but I'm not !!! HELP please!!

TIA

Lyn

Reply to
ejl

You have a problem with the contacts on the starter I would say - the click is the solenoid pulling in. It's either dirty switch contacts or an armature/brush problem.

Looking in my manual for my ex 214 it's possible to swap the brushes and the solenoid. How handy with a spanner are you or your hubby?

Reply to
Chris Street

Sounds like a starter motor/solenoid problem. Firstly check all the connections to the starter motor and solenoid and check battery connections and earths including engine earth straps. It may be that the water has caused corrosion on a connection.

If no joy there then, when it's in failure mode waggle cables and see if that gets it going - you may have a broken cable i.e. one that's fractured inside the insulation that you can't see. Failing that does a thump on the solenoid or starter motor get it going? If so then it may be the solenoid that's failed.

Reply to
Malc

Starter motor solenoid sticking. Whack the starter motor with a hammer. Won't neccessarily be a long term solution though. Best thing would be to take it to someone who repairs starter motors. It'll save you paying full whack for a replacement new one, and take the risk out of spending a similar amount on a second hand one that may well pack up like the current one has.

Peter

-- "Diamonds are what I really need - think I'll rob a store, escape the law, and live in Italy. Lately, my luck has been so bad, you know the roulette wheel, it's a crooked deal, I'm losing all I had."

Reply to
AstraVanMan

I had exactly that on a Nova. It was the earth strap corroded. Unbolt both ends, clean up the ends and the place they bolt on to(use sandpaper) and bolt back. Cover them in vaseline to stop it happening again as well. It was allowing enough current to pass to pull in the solenoid but then the starter current caused a huge voltage drop and killed everything.

Reply to
PC Paul