Bedding in rear brake shoes

Just fitted some new shoes & cylinders on the new escort. Everything seems fine, the adjusters seemed to adjust ok after (a few pumps on the peddel & the peddle is now higher than before). The only problem is that it doesn't hold on a hill as good as it used to. My drive is quite steep & I have to yank it on quite hard to get it to stay ok. Could they just need bedding in, like I say they seem fine except for this, or could there be a problem. When jacking up the car to test, both sides seem to operate equally with the handbrake.

Reply to
Dave Griffs

Couple of hundred miles of careful driving (no stamping on brakes) should do it, as long as all is properly fitted and the drums are in good condition (no ridges etc.)

Reply to
R. Murphy

Limp Wrist ?

Reply to
PC Hood

Work the adjusters manually with the handbrake on the second click and you'll get a cracking handbrake.

Reply to
gazzafield