Best engine choice for VW T4 Caravelle?

I'm looking to buy a VW T4 Caravelle for the missus in the next couple of months and was looking for any advice on which engine to choose. Mileage will be limited to mainly short (5-10mile) daily runs with a few 500+mile trips a few times a year. Anyone have any recommendations as to the best choice of engine, and what dates of manufacture are best to go for or which to avoid. Any particular preferences as to which are easiest to maintain. Thanks in advance for any help.

JB

Reply to
JB

What sort of age/budget are you on? Would you consider a diesel? The TDIs are bloody good, and the older 1.9Ds are pretty damn durable - bloke I know's got a '95 Transporter 1.9D with 370k on the clock and still going strong.

Reply to
AstraVanMan

Might go for a cheaper older 1.9TDi or possibly a post-96 2.5TDi cash permitting. What's the cost like for cambelt/waterpump replacement? Cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

Blimey, hom many cylinder heads has that had?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, JB decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

A big, snorting V8, preferably supercharged.

That'd be my choice.

HTH

Reply to
Pete M