Bigger wheels

Apologies if this sounds a bit dim,

I want to change the wheels on my car (Scenic) from the standard 14" alloys. (They look too small for the car!!) Can I simply put a set of 15" or 16" wheels on and carry on as normal, or do I have to get anything adjusted?

Like I said, sorry for being dim, but the most modification I've ever done to a car is putting a sticker on the window!!

Craig

Reply to
CK

Speedo and odometer will need adjusting. Also make sure your steering can cope with the bigger wheels.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

If I was to fit the Renault alloys that were an option, would the speedo still need adjusting?

Again, sorry for being dim!

Craig

Reply to
CK

If the wheels are a different size, then yes.

Reply to
Mark Hewitt

Thanks.

I assume that will be an expensive trip to Renault then? Or can my local garage do this for me?

Reply to
CK

The message from "Mark Hewitt" contains these words:

Not if the overall diameter of the tyre doesn't change significantly. If he goes for a lower profile it'll be the same. Shouldn't affect the steering either, if he does that. Wider tyres can make the steering feel awful sometimes.

Reply to
Guy King

Mark Hewitt ( snipped-for-privacy@markhewittDotCoDotUk.spammers.will.die) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

If the overall diameter of the *tyres* is a different size. The size of the wheel within that - and the width of the tyre - makes no difference.

Reply to
Adrian

If you go to

for example if you had 185 60 x 14 and went to 215 35 x 17 extreme example!! you sppedometer would be .81% out which you wouldn't notice!!

it's the circumference of the tyre that matter, so as you go up in rim size you come down in profile

The simplest way would be to fit the tyres and rims that came as an option then the speedo and everything would be the same. and the insurance compan would be happier as well as the tyre and rim combination were designed for the car.

Des

Reply to
Des

In message , Mark Hewitt writes

Or, adjust the profile of tyre fitted to keep the same overall diameter. See

in particular the section entitled "Matching your tyres to your wheels.". There is a calculator on that page which will help you do this.

Reply to
Steve Walker

for example if you had 185 60 x 14 and went to 215 35 x 17 extreme example!! you sppedometer would be .81% out which you wouldn't notice!!

Thanks Des,

This was what I had in mind- not really intending spending =A3=A3=A3=A3=A3's on pimping a people carrier. Kinda gives the wrong impression!!

I saw a nice set of alloys on a crash-damaged Scenic in our local salvage yard. Was going to make an offer, but wanted to make sure they would be suitable. Didn't want to get left with a set of useless wheels.

Cheers for all the advice, guys

Craig

Reply to
CK

Make sure the alloys on the crashed one are straight and aren't buckled or cracked!

Richard

Reply to
RichardK

You must get tyres of a lower profile to keep the rolling diameter the same on the bigger wheels, e.g. if your current wheels were 185/60R14 you'd need 195/50R15 or similar. Otherwise it messes up the speedo and gearing.

Also tell your insurers or they may not pay out in the event of a claim. They will probably load your premium slightly.

Reply to
Zog The Undeniable

If the wheels and tyres are a different size yes. But if the wheels are bigger but fitted with low profile tyres giving the same circumference then no.

Reply to
DougP

Zog The Undeniable wrote in news:442c125d.0 @entanet:

Yebbut, the OP says the ones fitted look too small. I tried this on my

205D. I fitted the pepperpots (15") and they fouled when the suspension was compressed. I then tried the 14" steels off a ZX and they are fine. Better than the original 13". Fills the arches better. All using standard tyres btw, no low profiles.
Reply to
Stuart Gray

In my case I'm taking off steel 185/60R14 and putting on alloy 195/50R15 instead.

Both standard for the model, and the steelys wil have Colway winter remoulds on them in future.

Reply to
Paul Cummins

Unless the tyres are too.

You need to work out the total circumference of each wheel.

I once worked out that for all the options on my Escort/Orion, regarding wheel sizes, the circumference of each option was the same - the bigger the wheel, the lower profile the tyre.

I'd *personally* have thought that if you get optional alloys off the same type of vehicle (specifically gearbox - check they don't change against trim level), you'd be fine.

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

What are you talking about?

Wheel size is only one part of the equation.

The tyres is another. The Renault wheels will use a lower profile tyre to get very close to the original circumference.

Reply to
DervMan

Eh?

Once upon a time something with a "60" profile was considered low profile.

I ran our last car on 185/60/13s. This one currently sits on 195/60/15s. The same profile, but the 195/60s look lower profile...

If you were running on say 165/60/13s and moved to 185/60/14s then you would have changed the gearing slightly. If you went to 195/65/15s as an extreme example then you'd change the gearing.

Providing you stick to the same diameter, within a few percent, what causes suspension fouling is usually the width of the wheel and not the combined size of the wheel and tyre.

Reply to
DervMan