Mk3 Cav Front Shocks - Desperate

I did ask before with no joy, but has anyone else had the problem of replacement front shock inserts for a Mk3 Cav being too long to refit the top strut nut and get it done up?

My car is now up on stands, legs off, with one shock completly blown and a leg full of oil. All local suppliers come up with shocks about

5mm too long. ( Mine measure 342 mm from bottom to shoulder btw )

Vauxhall about as much use as T**s on a fish - we can order a set but you have to pay in advance and we won't take them back if they don't fit, becuse our computer only shows one size ( to be fair so does my epc )

Anyone else seen or better still solved this problem? - car is a 2.0

16V on an M.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I ordered Gas shock replacement inserts from Car Parts direct, these worked fine....

The gas shock replacements worked much better than the originals as well, they gave a much, much better ride, especially at higher speeds.

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

Are you sure they're not aftermarket performance jobbies?

Reply to
Conor

Are you sure there's nothing like a washer/cup thing in the bottom of the leg?

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

I've searched around for the answer to this, but can't find it. Many apologies if it's a really basic question.

I have an old model Suzuki Swift, T reg. Since the standard fitting is a radio/cassette, I bought a Goodmans portable CD player complete with "car kit": a dummy cassette which transfers the signal to the built-in system, and a PSU which plugs into the cigarette lighter.

Unfortunately, after I removed the lighter (the first time I've ever touched it, ironically) and plugged in the adaptor, the radio refused to work: it's completely dead. I replaced the lighter and tried that, but no joy: that seems to be dead also.

The car's handbook is completely silent on the subject of the radio's electrical system; am I right in thinking that it probably shares a fuse with the lighter? If so, where is it? The circuit isn't listed in the under-the-dashboard fusebox. Does that mean I have to remove the fascia(s) to get to the rear of the radio?

Why, though, would plugging in the adaptor blow the fuse in the first place, if that is what's happened? Are these things generally reckoned to be a bit unreliable?

Any thoughts and suggestions will be gratefully received.

Bert

Bert Coules

I'm so sorry: I've no idea why my post didn't appear in its own thread. Apologies for butting in...

I'll try again.

Bert

Bert Coules

[...]

Did you try it with the ignition on, or at least in the ACC position? Some cars cut the power to the cigarette lighter when the ignition key is in the 'off' position.

Next, check he fuse box. If it has 'blade fuses' (coloured semi clear plastic) you can generally see if one has blown.

(Interesting website, by the way.)

Reply to
Brian Reay

I suspect you have blown a common fuse, more than likely caused by the power adapter having the wrong polarity set, I have seen this before (*Cough* *Done this myself*)....

If you are going to use the power adapter a lot, I would hard wire it in on the radio circuit and fit it with a noise suppressor also.

When I first got my Peugeot 406 off my father the cigar lighter socket didn't work, I replaced the fuse and it blew straight away. Upon further inspection, there was a 1penny piece in the bottom off it...

Andy

Reply to
Nik&Andy

I'm not certain about the Swift but certain Japanese cars use a cig lighter with a fusible link attached to the lighter looks like a rubber coated wire between the spade terminal and the back of the unit if your car has had an aftermarket radio fitted it is usual to piggyback the feed off the cig lighter in the absence of a suitable wiring harness so either is a possibility. btw I enjoyed the Sherlock Holmes series on radio 4 immensely I hope more are in the offing Derek

Reply to
Derek

There's no provision for the user to change the polarity, so if it's wrong it must be a manufacturing fault. Possible, of course, but it seems slightly unlikely.

I tried the cigarette lighter and that too isn't working. So a common fuse does seem likely. All I have to do is find it...

Annoyingly, I only tried it because it was included in the kit. I'm perfectly happy to use the CD player on battery power.

Not in mine, alas.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Bert

Bert Coules

Derek,

Thanks for the thoughts. Tomorrow I'll see if I can work out how to get the fascias off and have a good grub around.

Thanks very much. It looks as if the Beeb might commission a third series, but it's all a bit up in the air at the moment. When I know for sure, I'll put the details on my website.

Bert

Bert Coules

The legs are as fitted - complete with GM stickers. There is nothing inside the leg except oil.......... I have a complete dealer pintout pre my ownership and theres nothing about a leg swap.

I tried every combination at a local wholesale motor factors including gas shocks, Calibra, Astra, Carlton etc.

Car currently residing on stands and looking very sorry for itself.

I am considering replacing the front legs, but if Vauxhall did produce this car 5mm lower for some reason, what effect will this have at the back if I put on 'standard' fronts? How can i tell what length/height the back should be? The car has always looked a bit low, but I put this down the the CDX alloys and semi low profile tyres.

Anyone?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

I've solved the problem. The blown fuse was one marked ACC; easily replaced, at the expense of adopting a ludicrously undignified posture, doubtless to the amusement (or horror) of passers-by; why is the fuse box in such a ridiculous and inaccessible position?

What might ACC stand for? As far as I could trace, the only things on that circuit are the radio and the cigarette-lighter.

I still don't know just why the lighter-adaptor should have blown the fuse, but the short-term solution is obvious: I'll use the CD player's internal batteries. Incidentally, the cassette/CD adaptor works very nicely and seems to be an ideal low-budget solution to playing disks while retaining the existing radio/cassette player.

Thanks to everyone who offered thoughts and advice.

Bert

Bert Coules

It stands for Accessory

Reply to
Trevor Smith

Which of course makes perfect sense. Thanks.

Bert

Bert Coules