Black crud in oil cap.

Went to look at a cheap run-a-round which has not been started for several weeks. The battery is flat and will need charging so I've not yet heard it running, but removing the oil cap there was a lot of hardened black crud inside the cap. The rocker looked clear and there was no sign of sludge or mayo just this hard crud inside the cap which crumbled and fell out when I scrapped it. Could it indicate something serious or because the engine has not been started for a long time? had a quick google where someone suggested crud in the cap may just be oil or vapours which get trapped inside the cap and can't circulate so forms a hard crud if not cleaned out.

Reply to
redwood

The message from "redwood" contains these words:

This wouldn't be a Ford CVH engine, would it?

Reply to
Guy King

It indicates that it hasn't had oil changes when they were due.

Reply to
Conor

This is probabally baked on carbon deposits, again my opinion would be no oil changes!!

Best advice, WALK AWAY

Whilst not causing a problem yet, it could do soon. When this crud frees itself off it will fall to the sump, then get picked up into the oil strainer, thus blocking the strainer and starving the engine of its life blood.

Find another run around, it's a buyers market overloaded with cars.

Regards Slim

Reply to
martin.taz

Thanks for the advice. It's a dawoo lanos which I think is a GM Vauxhall engine with 85k mileage. I'm told it has had regular services. There is a faded service sticker on the windscreen saying the cambelt was changed at 43k and I'm told it has had regular services and another cambelt changed within the last year but no paperwork!! I did notice the cam cover bolts did look cleaner than the surrounding area and the water looked a nice clear green. The engine bay (as is the car) is really filthy which kinda adds credibility as they have not even bothered to give it a clean to enhance its looks. As it's a really good price I think I'll have another look when the battery's been charged to hear it running and give it a blast.

Reply to
redwood

No paperwork = no service history, makes mileage claims dubious.

Black crud = evidence of lack of servicing, possibly worn engine

Cambelt change with no paperwork = no cambelt change, unless you don't value the engine at all (i.e. walk away if it goes)

Clear green water = could mean anything, recently had a leak?

If it's very cheap, give it a good test and see what you think, but I'd change the cambelt.

Biggles

Reply to
Biggles