A Comfortable Car & Cheap To Run

So - the forum has rambled - discussed to date are:

Hot: Nissan Primera, Toyota Carina E, another Pug 406, Citroen C5, Toyota Avensis, Ford Mondeo, Skoda Octavia, Citroen Xantia,

Not: Mitsubishi Carisma, Chrysler Neon, Alfa 156, (Sob!) Vauxhall Vectra, Saab 9-3.

Any others capable to taking me for 280 mile trips to work in comfort & economy, anyone? (Manyal gears, no A/C, the cheaper & more reliable the better, not a turbo or something too exotic)

Artie

Reply to
Arturo Ui

Another 406 would be my choice from that bunch. A quick look on AutoTrader shows you can pick up a 1.9TD with 80,000 miles and recent cambelt for about £2000. If you don't pick a duffer, it'll do another 80,000 with routine (oil and filters) servicing.

One thing to note - whatever you end up with, you should change the oil much more frequently than the manufacturer recommends - it'll help preserve both the engine and the bearings in the Turbo (because you won't be choosing a petrol car for a 280 mile commute). Do it every 5,000 miles, regardless of the manufacturer's service intervals.

Reply to
Nom

"Arturo Ui" wrote in news:dxBoe.3890$8m5.748 @newsfe5-gui.ntli.net:

Can't go wrong with a 406 HDi or a Mondeo. Ex-fleet for regular maintenance schedule and FSH. Job done.

No A/C for comfort? I'd have to disagree with that! Also a non-turbo diesel (if you can find one) would be a pain to drive.

Correct that Vectra is off the list: a very drab car indeed.

Reply to
southpawArcher