Blocked rad?

My old Cav 1.6.

Had a recent history of blowing hoses, and now, as it's got colder, it's become aparant there is no heat in the car. Return hose feels cold approaching the rad end, but warm near the engine.

Blocked rad????

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

A cheap way to clean out the cooling/heater system is to add a litre of the liquid fabric wash stuff. The sort like Aerial Rapid that you'd put in your washing machine. Get the cheap stuff from Kwiksave/Nettos etc and add it to your rad, run the car for a couple of days then drain it and flush it out, repeat as necessary. I've done this to a succession of Capri's (not noted for their heaters and especially prone to the heater matrix fouling-up) and they are fine after this treatment.

HTH

Nigel

Reply to
Flewolfece

A blocked rad should ensure lots of heat in the car as the coolant can't be, eeer, cooled. Assuming there's no airlocks then it sounds more like a dead thermostat.

Reply to
Scott M

Washing powders and liquids contain rather a lot of salt (ionic surfactants etc)

Personally I don't want to add that amount of salt to my car, or as fast as I can say "heater matrix" it will be corroding expensive bits of my cooling system.

-- James

Reply to
James

Which is true but you're going to flush it out afterwards.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Flush it very, very thoroughly. Is that enough "very"s ?

-- James

Reply to
James

Yep I'd agree with that

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Na, it takes three times for luck!

Peter Hill

Back to why this thread started.....

It was the thermostat - flushed the system for good measure - ( using the real stuff, sorry guys ) and the old girl's fine now.

cheers

Ian

Reply to
IanDTurner

It's a few pence cheaper than the stuff for clothes too.

____

DP

I'd agree with that. I've had blocked rads on both my old Sierra and a Kawasaki GPZ500 motorbike. Symptoms were identical - engine will run at correct-ish temperature when idling or driving slowly. When working a bit harder (i.e. hard acceleration or sustained motorway speeds), it runs too hot.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Post