BMW 325ix transfer box?

The cost of the parts is not too bad, but the job (any job) on the transfer box needs quite a few special BMW tools. It's not a home bodger/diy job at all. Unless it's a well cheap motor, or you really need a 4x4, I would look elsewhere. There are a few complete boxes about, but not too cheap even s/h. Speak to David at FAB

cheers, JB

Reply to
JB

I've been offered a nice '89 BMW 325ix 4X4 AUTO. Only 1 problem the seller says that there is a slight noise (witch is intermittent) coming from the transfer box and it is just a bearing that need replacing. Is this a difficult and/or expensive job to do (or have done)?

Reply to
Marty

it depends on what it is transfer box wise the early 2.8 sierra's used a type 9 transfer box which was a pain in the arse to do anything with but the later ones used the mt75 box which is so simple to dismantle you hardly even need spanners for it if it's easy then it'll be a diy job (it's only 2 bearings for the front prop output, 2 bearings for the transfer drive, the chain, the viscous coupling, and some planet wheels inside) if it's more complex that that you would be wise in sourcing a technical book that describes how to do it before you spend lots on it Haynes don't even cover the transfer assembly on the sierra for the mt75 but they go into plenty of detail for the earlier one, even though they say the early box is much easier to repair

Reply to
dojj

It a BMW tranfer box I need to know about.

Reply to
Marty

I'm just pointing out that there are several different types and that the more complicated versions seem to be well documented whereas the easier ones seem to be thought of as less diy to fix bottom line, if you can afford to buy the car then do so if it's only a bearing in the box then any decent gearbox place will be able to supply and fit a new one

Reply to
dojj