Polo wet brake squeal

My T reg Polo doesn't like the rain. After standing after a wet day and standing overnight in the garage, the brakes squeal like crazy for the first few depressions. No major problem, but much worse than on any other car I've had. Why would this be? No indication of brake wear from recent MOT or major service.

Thanks, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Probably surface rust on the discs. I've had this happen on several cars over the years. Doesn't do them any harm, though......

If you're worried about it, try spraying the discs with WD40 when you park up, that'll keep the rust away. (1)

(1) disclaimer: I take no responibility for the decreased braking performance of your car if you do this, OK.

Reply to
SteveH

Erm... not so worried that I would oil the brakes . It was more the severity of the noise than anything else. All my cars have had some noise after drying our overnight, but this is by far the worse. Guess I'll just leave well alone!

Cheers, Jim

Reply to
Jim

Somene told me if you want to clean contaminated pads, you can pour petrol over them in a gutter....leave them for a bit whilst you have a cup of tea, then set fire to them, and blow the drain covers off half the industrial estate.

Whether this is a true story is another matter.

Reply to
JR

Remove pads and deglaze with glasspaper or emery. Same with discs. Clean dust from calipers. Clean anti rattle shims and put a smidgeon of vaseline or coppaslip on the backs. Should sort out the problem. DaveK.

Reply to
DaveK