BMW Squeal on start up

Any thoughts

2001 525 22K miles - high pitched squeal from cold. fine when warm - I don't think it is fanbelt. Sounds like a dry bearing but not sure.

Thanks

Reply to
Chris Hatcher

Still under warrenty then surely? Take it to the dealer.

Reply to
Dan405

Surely the driver of a common car who got stuck in your radiator when you were tailgating with your fog lights on!

Reply to
Ben Cowell

lines,have you physically checked. sometimes when the belt slips [because it is loose] a glaze forms on the belt and that's the noise you can hear rubbing against the steel pulley. Ben the blokes asking for help not sarcasm! mark.w

Reply to
mark williams

Put a towel on the bonnet at 5.00 am, that'll stop any German squealing. I would bet it IS a belt at that mileage. I have an old bimmer 316 coupe D reg. It only squeals when I put it into a corner fast. As does the wife.Squeal when cold at low revs is usually belt round alternator being loose. Squeal when hot and at high revs is usually glazed belt. For the first problem, tighen belt. For the second problem, renew belt.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

They have an auto belt tensioning system, and use those ribbed 'flat' belts, so it's unlikely to slip like the more usual fan belt. When a fan belt slips at start up, it's usually caused by heavy loads like the alternator charging the battery, and a blip of the engine will make it worse.

Reply to
Dave Plowman