brake bleeder nipple ceased

I think you'll find that's the level warning float - nothing to do with keeping moisture out of the fluid.

Reply to
SteveH

The message from "Mike G" contains these words:

It certainly seems to get a good deal muckier at the wheel end than the reservoir end.

Reply to
Guy King

C'mon, you've *got* to do more than congratulate him.

If you won't, I will.

Ladies and Gentlemen of Usenet, tonight is a special night, a night most of you will never forget and I'd like to thank you all for taking the time and effort to attend this post. I know most of you are waiting for the highlight of the evening, the "More Clueless than Clueless Ken" award for 2007. Well, tonight we have a surprise for you, this year the organisers have decided to combine the "most clueless" award with another very special new award "The Steve H was right about you / it / something" award.

As a quick reminder for those new to the ceremony, Clueless Ken - a.k.a Chris Stevens - was a know it all who knew nothing about anything but used Usenet as a platform to make himself feel less stupid - this plan was doomed to fail. Even Usenet newbies aren't that stupid.

Steve "HFM" H is a different breed altogether. Quite a nice chap on the sly, occasionally witty, but with a morbid fixation about the never ending and "Devastatingly quick cross country weapon" wonders of Fiat and VW Group produce. In a similar fashion to a System of a Down fan, he can't see that most of it is s**te and it's all based on the same thing to start with, but he will repel thoughts of other vehicles being good with an almost evangelistic vigour. Although a Nissan Primera once slipped through the net and into his ownership with comical results.

Mark T, although your post did actually contain information not gleaned from a back issue of Car magazine and was in the large part correct, I have the pleasure of awarding you the "More Steve H than Clueless Ken" award for

2007.
Reply to
Pete M

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

We had a leaflet from the local dibbles about garden shed security.

"While your away on holiday tell the neighbours when you will be back and whose got a key".

Reply to
Guy King

Problem is that few will notice and fewer still will say anything.

Reply to
MrCheerful

The message from "MrCheerful" contains these words:

Oh, it's the local beat copper - I shall rib him mercilessly when I next see him.

Reply to
Guy King

Except that the m/c had a plain screw cap without any electrical connections. The black plastic float was exactly the same shape as a 'Smartie', but only about half a mm smaller than the inside diameter of the reservoir. As I see it, an effective way of reducing the surface area of the brake fluid exposed to atmosphere. I can't see it having any other purpose. On most of the m/c's with low level monitors that I've seen, the float is quite small, and fitted inside an open 'tube' attached to the two part cap itself. Which has of course a pair of wires connected to it. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

DING!

Reply to
Conor

I don't think there's any particular advantage in using a copper based grease, over plain grease. Personally I use a waterproof grease, mainly because I use it at work, and unlike most greases, inc copper grease, doesn't get washed off exposed portions of threads on bleed nipples, bolts etc. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Ian

Reply to
Ian

The message from Ian contains these words:

"A mix up...they had made a mistake"

Yeah, they mistakenly tried it on with someone who was ready for them.

Trading Standards should have taken a few weeks over this and put in a ringer or two first to make sure the garage couldn't claim they "like to think this is a one-off" by nailing them properly instead of letting them get away virtually scot free. A 2k fine for a big dealership like that barely pays for a week's nail varnish for the receptionist.

This stuff's nothing new. A friend had his bike serviced some time around 1980 and marked the various items that should have been disturbed with clear varnish - and nothing had been done except an attempt to lighten his wallet.

Reply to
Guy King

It does seem OTT, but I've done it twice as a last resort and it's worked well both times. As Guy says, possibly the massive heat was the 'real' reason, but by that stage you've stopped caring - you just want the damned thing to come undone....

Reply to
Steve Walker