brake pads and discs: which make?

Not helping your argument there. EBC have always had a bit of a rep for pad material coming away from the backplate!

Reply to
Scott M

That was what I found when they first came to the fore in the early

80's, customers kept asking for them for motorcycles (there must have been clever advertising) but I hated selling them because I knew they were not reliable pads.
Reply to
Mrcheerful

Never had any issues with them, even when used on the track at speeds well in excess of 160 mph

Reply to
steve robinson

Never had any issues with them on my bike's track days and all

All manufacturers have pad failures, this is probably compounded by the inapropiate selection of pads to match your driving or ridding style.

I wouldnt expect a standard oem set of pads to survive a track day they are not designed for that type of use.

Reply to
steve robinson

Having the ABS come on hard proves very little. On 10 year old cars it is likely to happen when the rust on one of the nearside disks starts to give uneven braking.

Reply to
Nick Finnigan

I would expect that they had improved or they would have gone out of business by now, trouble is that if you see any failures with a make of something it colours your view of that make permanently.

Reply to
Mrcheerful

But unlike other makes the high metal content (brass?) meant they worked in the wet on Japanese stainless discs. That alone was why EBC were bought.

Euro bikes with cast iron discs didn't need them but went rusty and looked gash.

Stupid thing was that discs with virtually any pad passed the late 70's USA wet brake test. They dunked the whole brake in a tank for sometime and then hauled it out tested immediately. A drum brake filled with water and it didn't drain or dry out quick enough. Putting enough holes in it so it drained, would have collected water in the rain and reduced its function in actual road conditions. A disc brake took a few rotations but would eventually work. On the road by the time they worked you had the lever on the bars and they locked.

Reply to
Peter Hill

Which was why I converted my CB400F to the front brake off a CB72, which was a nice big twin leading shoe brake, it was far more predictable than the disc.

Reply to
Mrcheerful