Brake pipe ties.

The steel brake pipe running across the rigid rear axle on the old car needs replacing. It is clipped to the axle casing using a sort of soft
steel clamp - a sort of cross between a jubilee clip and a zip tie. Had to cut them off due to rust, and they are NLA - or rather about a tenner each for those who are willing to pay silly money.
I've made the new pipe from Kunifer which is more easy to crush than steel, so need a reasonably gentle way of fixing them that would suit the MOT man. Would decent zip ties do? Or any better suggestions?
--
*How's my driving? Call 999*

Don't these fixings normally have a bit of flexible sleeve around the pipe to prevent fretting against the axle casing? Or is that petrol pipe?
With that proviso, I'd be happy with ordinary cable ties.
If you search eBay for stainless steel cable ties the second hit (300mm x 4.6mm) is £7 for 100.

Not as installed. Simply this soft steel band.
Petrol pipes tend to have less thick walls since the pressure is low.
--
*Two wrongs are only the beginning *

Rubber lined metal P clips? Available on Ebay.

Not sure how you would attach them to a 'rigid rear axle'?
Some of the brake pipes on the kitcar are held to things using cable ties, wound in such a way that the tie sits between the pipe and what it's anchored to and it's not been an issue for 30 MOT's so far.
Cheers, T i m
On 20/07/2018 00:55, T i m wrote:

Clean the area and epoxy a bolt, head first, to the axle. Use the new 'stud'.
May be braze/weld a bolt head rather than epoxy. You only need a 'tack'.

<snip> >>> Rubber lined metal P clips? Available on Ebay.

Would the head of a bolt thin enough to go though a P Clip provide a large enough surface to form a good epoxy mount.

Or a tack each side, that might do it.
Not as easy as a cable tie round the axle possibly, maybe round a bit of rubber tube thread. ;-)
Cheers, T i m
On 20/07/2018 17:55, T i m wrote:

I've used it for other things. As for the size, it depends on the head size. You could add a out sized washer and bury that in the epoxy.
I'd not use it for high stress etc but then this isn't a high stress situation.

as I remember the clips were welded on the steel axle tubes and just bent over to hold the tubing. weld on some more thin steel and make it correct again. Cable ties should be OK, but only your mot man is the final arbiter on that.

No. Just a 'band' of soft steel wrapped round the axle casing. Which may have seemed welded to the casing through rust - hence me having to cut 3 out of 4 off. ;-)

I can buy the correct clips, but being NOS and rare are a silly price. About £40 for 4 delivered. Given they'd cost less to make than a similar sized jubilee clip.
--
*Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Just as an addition, after the discussion on here about vacuum bleeders, I decided to try one, given the low cost. And can report it works OK - although a lot slower than an Easybleed pressure system. But I do like the idea of it collecting the used fluid in a sealed container - no jam jar to get knocked over. ;-)
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional