Vectra 2008 1.6 Petrol 190,000km Timing Belt hasn't been done!

Hi,

I was thinking of buying the above car until I discovered the timing belt has not been done ever.

Are there any symptoms I could look out for as in possible engine damage already inflicted on it? If I buy it, i would obviously do the timing belt etc etc but is there anything else I should check beyond the usual "it runs good".

Thanks

Reply to
olliemurf

The belt is due every ten years or 160,000 km (whichever comes first), so it is not very seriously overdue.

If it still runs normally then no damage has been done by ignoring the cam belt. If the cam belt had jumped teeth the engine would run terribly or not at all.

Reply to
MrCheerful

Thanks MrC, I will have look this evening and let you know.

Reply to
olliemurf

But it's due for replacement just on an age basis 2008->2018, surely ?

Reply to
Andrew

It is overdue on both mileage (kilometerage doesn't sound right) and on age, but neither are enormously over the suggested limits. Yes, he should get it done IF he buys it.

Reply to
MrCheerful

On Wednesday, July 18, 2018 at 12:03:49 PM UTC+1, olliemurf wrote: Thanks guys,

I bought the car cos its a peach for the money being asked. Thanks for the help and hopefully I wont be back on here with a sob story. Cheers

Reply to
olliemurf