Hanging hose

1998 5.9L QC 4x4

Yesterday I noticed a hose hanging down from the back of my truck. It was hanging down on the driver's side from the frame rail just above the spare tire. It is about 18" in length, one end appeared to be clamped to something at one time, the other end has a white coupling type fitting in it. I looked around as best I could without removing the spare and there was nothing obvious as to what it connected to. I'm on vacation now and don't have access to my service manual. The truck appears to run just fine. Any ideas?

Reply to
Jim Flaherty

Note: I forgot to mention the hose has diameter of about 5/8"

Reply to
Jim Flaherty

Sounds like the rear axle vent? Just tie it up out of the way for now.

Reply to
BigIronRam

So wait - both ends are loose? Like BIR said, it sounds like it's the rear axle breather hose. Look on top of the rear axle, driver's side. You'll see a brake distribution block (two hard lines running out to each wheel, one flex line running up the the left-side frame rail). There should be a hose barb sticking up from this block, and that's where the hose connects to. The other end, with the white plastic piece in it (that's the breather - it's got tiny holes to allow air to pass, but keeps any water spray out), should have a metal clip on it, and it clips up to the spare tire carrier frame. If the clip is gone, just use a zip tie to secure it, and use a small hose clamp to clamp the hose to the hose barb on the axle tube. Be sure to leave a little slack in the hose, so that the suspension can droop without straining the hose.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence

Thanks!

That was it! The end that attaches toe the axle is just a friction fit or should a clamp be used?

Reply to
Jim Flaherty

If it fell off once, I'd stick a clamp on it.

Reply to
Tom Lawrence