Brakes seem to crunch *just* before stop

Renault Megane 1998 model 1.6 cc - the front break pads and discs were replaced together last year. Noticed recently that when I apply brakes - at the point *just* before stopping, I hear a small crunch, the peddle under my foot seems move (drop?) a little and then I stop - I can't feel any difference in the stopping distance (ie, I still stop at the point I intended) and the brakes don't seem to fail in anyway - ie, I don't lose the biting force of the braking - if you know what I mean. Doesn't happen all the time, but more so when cars been going for a while and/or I'm stop/starting in a line of traffic.

Any clues? How long is a piece of string??

Reply to
Neaco

In news:%Wbdd.173$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe5-gui.ntli.net, Neaco decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Brake pads are close to death. If not actually totally worn out. Change 'em now!

Alternatively, wait, and then have to buy discs as well as pads.

HTH

Reply to
Pete M

Pads are getting hot and have bugger all friction material left on them. Swap now before you get stuck for disks as well.

Twice the length to the middle (couldn't resist, sorry)

Reply to
Chris Street

First thing is to check the wheels are on tight, then check the brakes generally. I would seriously worry if the pedal feels as you describe and I would not say it is safe to drive till you know what the problem is, and when you do know, get it fixed.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful