Re: Getting a small 12 v timer - home elelctronics?

Hi,

> > Wondered if anyone is into electronics as I need a small, cheap 12v > timer that I can use on the my car, as basically, as its going to sit > between the ignition and glow plug relay. As soon as ignition turns > on - the glow plugs will start - and will turn off based on the time > I set the timer for - say 15 seconds > > Any ideas? on where i can get one. Looked at maplins but could not > find anything suitable. > > This is a home made modificiation, currently have a slightly modified > manual setup that I got with the car but want to automate it with a > timer.

Umm... don't glowplugs do that *anyway*??

Reply to
PC Paul

I've just done a job at work where we fitted a timer for lights. It was a Brodersen XMD2 which is a din rail mount although you could probably tie it up somewhere. It is adjustable from 0.6secs to 60 mins. You will definately have to fit a relay in line for the glow plugs as they pull huge amounts of current but you could get the timer to switch the relay. Here's alink to it.

Gary Millar

Sorry the first link was wrong it has a multi pin out on the back and is no use for what you want.

Reply to
Gary Millar

You can buy adjustable 'delay off' timers. Check out RS Components or Farnells.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Simillaraly (sp)the link to the one i posted can be set to delay off, pulse on or recycle.

Reply to
Gary Millar

The message from "PC Paul" contains these words:

Yup. Just go get a standard glow-plug timer from any breakers if you're starting from scratch.

Reply to
Guy King

Indeed- all based around a 555 timer chip, 1 diode, 2 resistors and 2 capacitors.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim (remove obvious)

The message from "Tim \(remove obvious\)" contains these words:

And the great advantage that someone's already done it all for you!

Reply to
Guy King

Hi,

Well I am using part of the relay, I just need to get the Glow Plug Relay started,and to leave power going to it for 10 seconds.Will be 12v

So far alot of the kits, seem to have there own manual operated on/off switch which I dont need. Just need a connection for cable in and connection for cable out. Need the kit to handle the timer and to basically, kill the connection at a pre-determined time eg 10 seconds

Scott

Reply to
Scott

Electronics 1.01. Simple timer. Variable or set value resistor, a capacitor and a transistor feeding a switch side of the relay. Total build cost under a quid. Plenty of circuit diagrams on the net.

Reply to
Conor

Another glow plug relay & timer from the scrappys going to be cheapest, short of building your own one shot monostable

Duncanwood

Hi,

Going for the timer at the moment as I have a Pajero had its got 2 relays, control unit etc and each relay is over £80. One of the relays is working as the manual push to make button works - but this is a pain, hence by putting a simple 12v timed connection will save me some grief.

But I am crap at electronics like this, hence looking for a made solution I can just buy off the shelp. So far RS componensts and Maplins done stock what I need. They have similar, all priced under £5 just not what I need, they either have buttons on them which I dont want.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

The message from Scott contains these words:

And we're telling you that the ready-made solution is to go to the scrappy get a glowplug timer off the shelf.

I've even got one in the garage going spare if you're near Telford. It's off a Maestro and was working fine when I took it off.

Reply to
Guy King

The Vellerman kit that Maplin sells for about a fiver is based round the

555 chip which can easily be made to trigger at power up and switch off after a set time. It's also designed to run off 12 volts and has an isolated relay on the output so OK for driving the glowplugs relay.

If you'd like the circuit of a 555 in this monostable mode I can email you one. The Vellerman kit includes a circuit diagram so should be easy peasy to modify.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Hi,

If you mean the MK111, I just bought it. Not sure how to modify it - even if I need to. I have emailed velleman support and hope they can advise or if anyone knows here, that would be great.

Scott

Reply to
Scott

From a car side of view, I have a Mitsubishi Pajero 2.5 LWX 1993 with Quickglow Relay. The issue with the relay is that, even when the car starts, I can hear the relay clicking but the car wont start. Hence the reason why a manual switch was put in to basically, when I press the switch and hold for 5 seconds, this forces the glow plugs to heat and then the car starts.

The switch goes from the dash, to Relay1. Relay 1 connects to the glow plugs so am assuming this relay does the pre-start. But with the manual connection, the timing of the pre start and post start warm up is removed, hence the issue could be with either the tmerature sensor, control unit

Any ideas or is there a easy way to basically, get rid of the Pajero relay and put in a cheaper, easier alternative?

Scott

Reply to
Scott

I doubt you'll get advice from Vellerman on how to modify their product, somehow. Be nice to be proved wrong, though. Can you scan and e-mail the circuit to me? I'll mail back the mods needed. Note spam trap in sig.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not on my Defender it doesn't. You hold the key at a "half position" for as long as you want the glowplugs to run. Most glowplug timers are not just timing relays though, they also sense the temperate in the cylinder and time accordingly.

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Same issue I had with the woofer. Pull the relay out of its socket, carefully remove the cover cap and clean the heavy duty contact with a slip of paper only (they will be really dirty, almost sooty in colour), nothing more abrasive or it will damage the silver contacts. Clean the external pins on the relay up as they will be tarnished. Refit and test.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

Wow! That must have been around a *very long time*!

Reply to
Chris Bacon