Broken Diesel Turbo?

Whilst accelerating onto the M27 today my 2003 Carisma 1.9 turbo diesel suddenly lost power and started to emit some blue-ish smoke from the
exhaust.
Whilst it continued to run, it had almost no power and enabled me to reach 30mph (gently). Pressing the accelerator any more than 'slightly' results in a fast rattling/rumbling noise. Whilst driving at that dizzying speed I could just make out a 'wheezing' noise from the engine compartment. (Like asthmatic breathing) Yes, there is engine oil at the back of the engine.
Am I asking the obvious? Are these all the signs of a broken turbo? If it is, anyone know of a place that does a reasonable deal in repaired/exchanged turbos? (The Carisma uses a Renault-sourced engine)
Many thanks
much like they were saying:

No question about it. Yes.

Plenty. Location and urgency are probably going to be your keys.
On Sat, 28 Feb 2009 19:00:26 -0000, Brad Thrust

It'll do more than 30 with no turbo unless it's actually seized. Is the hose from the turbo to the inlet still attached?

OK, the 30mph was uphill near Fareham. I got it up to 50 downhill but could have gone faster. (If I wanted to make a loud 'grindy-rattling' noise under the bonnet)
Any recommendations for remanufactured turbos at a reasonable price, anyone? (I've found anything between 225 and 600 so far - what'll be the difference?)
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 10:26:56 -0000, Brad Thrust

Are you sure it's the turbo? They don't normally rattle once they're dead, it sounds like you've lost something oin the top end, which may well have had the turbo with the debris or the debris from the impellors made it to the top end.

I think you are correct that the turbo has gone. It has a bearing that "floats" on a thin film of oil, when the turbo fails it will cause the engine to burn oil resulting in lots of smoke and loss of power. See if you can get a reconditioned turbo for it, it shouldn't cost that much to sort it out.
Clive wrote:

I think if it's making god-awful grinding noises, it's quite probably not the turbo...
--
Pete M - OMF#9

BMW 325i SE Touring
On Sun, 01 Mar 2009 15:11:53 -0000, Pete M

Yup, your entire engine innards float on a thin film of oil.