Broken Diesel Turbo?

Whilst accelerating onto the M27 today my 2003 Carisma 1.9 turbo diesel suddenly lost power and started to emit some blue-ish smoke from the exhaust.

Whilst it continued to run, it had almost no power and enabled me to reach

30mph (gently). Pressing the accelerator any more than 'slightly' results in a fast rattling/rumbling noise. Whilst driving at that dizzying speed I could just make out a 'wheezing' noise from the engine compartment. (Like asthmatic breathing) Yes, there is engine oil at the back of the engine.

Am I asking the obvious? Are these all the signs of a broken turbo? If it is, anyone know of a place that does a reasonable deal in repaired/exchanged turbos? (The Carisma uses a Renault-sourced engine)

Many thanks

Reply to
Brad Thrust

"Brad Thrust" gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

No question about it. Yes.

Plenty. Location and urgency are probably going to be your keys.

Reply to
Adrian

It'll do more than 30 with no turbo unless it's actually seized. Is the hose from the turbo to the inlet still attached?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

OK, the 30mph was uphill near Fareham. I got it up to 50 downhill but could have gone faster. (If I wanted to make a loud 'grindy-rattling' noise under the bonnet)

Any recommendations for remanufactured turbos at a reasonable price, anyone? (I've found anything between £225 and £600 so far - what'll be the difference?)

Reply to
Brad Thrust

Are you sure it's the turbo? They don't normally rattle once they're dead, it sounds like you've lost something oin the top end, which may well have had the turbo with the debris or the debris from the impellors made it to the top end.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

I think you are correct that the turbo has gone. It has a bearing that "floats" on a thin film of oil, when the turbo fails it will cause the engine to burn oil resulting in lots of smoke and loss of power. See if you can get a reconditioned turbo for it, it shouldn't cost that much to sort it out.

Reply to
Clive

I think if it's making god-awful grinding noises, it's quite probably not the turbo...

Reply to
Pete M

Yup, your entire engine innards float on a thin film of oil.

Reply to
Duncan Wood