Pug 306 clutch help please

Hi I noticed today that all of a sudden I had great difficulty in selecting gears, Its been fine till now, If I let it cool down I can select gears and drive away fine but then when it warms up a bit the problem reappears. I opened the bonnet and I have the self adjusting type clutch cable and I could pull the *slack* cable out about 4" from the clutch fork. I got a friend to depress the clutch pedal and tried to lever the clutch fork further in but it would not go any further. When the engine is stopped I can select any gear with ease. Am I right in suspecting the clutch needs replacing or is it some other problem. The reason I ask is because I have had no clutch slipping or any other sort of warning at all cheers Rikk

.
Reply to
Rikk

is there a lot of free play at the pedal before the clutch operation starts? if so then you probably only need a new cable at present.

mrcheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

I used to drive a 1.4 Xsara with a similar cable set up. The cable had some free play, so I added a few washers (with slits cut in them) to the opposite side of the clutch arm to the cable (washers on the radiator side).

This had the effect of shortening the cable and restoring the biting point to where I wanted.

After cable replacement, I still used the same method to move the biting point.

Now I drive a C5 with a hydraulic clutch, nothing you can do on those.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Cowell