Cam belt snapped - Land Rover engine

Damn, I suppose I should have seen this one coming. Remember that Land Rover with the starting problem I asked about last month? Well it had become fairly reliable until Saturday morning, when it suddenly lost all compression. Luckily it happened on a quiet road with a wide verge, only 3 miles walk from home. This is the 2.5 diesel which has a timing belt, and while I haven't had a chance to check, my first guess is that this is what has bust. So anyone know what damage is likely on these engines? It happened at low speed on a slight downward slope so not under any strain at all, if that makes any difference.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

that is impossible to say. likely a set of valves and several guides. or a few hundred quids worth in real terms

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ta, that's what I wanted to know, that the valves can actually reach the pistons on these. The engine was never that healthy anyway, so I'm really just deciding whether to chuck it away or bother to investigate properly.

End of the road then. I can live with that. The chassis is a good one, and being ex-military has the removeable gearbox crossmember so will be perfect for my Stage 1 V8. Radiator, front panel, overdrive & rear tailgate can go into my Perkins engined

109 that just needs finishing. Axles are always handy to keep as spares. There, it's nearly all gone!
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I'd be amazed if there was no contact, what with the diesel compression ratio :(

Reply to
Tony Bond

You will probably find all you have done is bent the push rods.

Reply to
Geoff

I was driving a Disco 300TDi when the timing belt broke. It bent pushrods and broke some if not all of the lifters. Runs fine now they've been replaced. I don't know how similar the 2.5 is to the 300TDi...

Reply to
Douglas Payne

Admit it, that was the answer you *wanted*, wasn't it?

You had it all planned, you just couldn't bring yourself to kill it humanely...

Reply to
PCPaul

is it a series 3 109 with 5 doors? if so are the doors in good condition as I am after some for my series 3.

Mrcheerful

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Thanks. After reading up a bit, it seems you could be right. It'll certainly be worth investigating then.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

That's interesting, thanks. I just had a word with an "expert" who reckons the 2.5 is much less likely to suffer serious damage than a

300TDi, so I could be lucky.
Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You could have a point there. Having accumulated 4 of the darned things, the chance of getting shut of one is hard to resist.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

No, sorry.

A friend is thinking of scrapping a 110 5 door if the rear doors are the same (it hasn't got any front ones). Want me to ask him about 'em?

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

If it has done more then bend the push rods it will be the first one I've heard of that has.

Thow a set in, only a ten minute job ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

If it's a Landy 90 there's a bloody good chance I've got a buyer for it. Even more of a chance if it's LHD.

Reply to
Pete M

I wish. No, it's a tax exempt 109 in all its leaf sprung glory. I also have a second tax exempt 109 with a Perkins 4.203 engine that'll be on the road soon, honest. Those 3.3l diesels were fitted mostly to tractors, forklift trucks, etc., are bomb proof and have loads of torque which is just what I want for towing.

Then I have a Stage 1 V8 (also a 109 as they all were), with a rotten chassis but sound bulkhead. Bought off eBay because it was too cheap to miss. When I have a minute, I'll clean it up and get it running nicely then relist it on eBay. They're getting rare now so it deserves saving.

And lastly, I have a Series 2a 88" petrol with a rotten chassis and bulkhead and seized clutch. For this, I have a decent bulkhead and chassis waiting to be fitted (or sold with it as a project). I quite fancy the idea of keeping this one to tootle about in as the petrol engine is so nice and quiet and it'd complement the Perkins well.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

4203 is one of the few decent diesels to use in a Landy..

I like those, but I've already got a Range Rover that doesn't go.

Clutch is an easy job to un-seize.

Reply to
Pete M

I think so too. This one came in another Landy which I used as a shunter for a while and it always started on the button, even after standing for a month or two. Some folk don't like them as they're so slow, but that's rather missing the point, IMO.

You're mad! I like the noise it makes, but little else.

A friend's about to sell a nice Peugeot 2.5 turbo diesel engine from a Range Rover if you're interested. A bloke in his village has offered him

170 quid for it for his fishing boat, which would mean throwing away the turbo to fit a mariniser. Seems a waste to me.

Yup, though the chassis may not stand up to my usual method!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

And you were right! Except for the ten minutes, that is. I had to hire a

41mm socket and breaker bar for the crankshaft pulley bolt (I've welded a 19mm wheel nut onto it now), then the pulley was a right bugger to remove. The tensioner was knackered and everything was oily, so I changed the seals on the crank and camshaft, all of which added up to about 70quid, which ain't bad considering. And it's now running again - thanks everyone.

I sold that Astra van too, so all in all, a successful weekend!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Well 15 minute job then, rather then the breaker bar you could have used the starter motor, makes a bit of a bang but does the job ;-)

Reply to
Geoff

I did. The breaker bar was for resting against the chassis rail when I used the starter! The five quid plus VAT hire charge seemed reasonable until I realised it worked out at about 50p for each second I'd actually used the thing.

Nah, that was the easy bit, pulling the pulley and then the drive cog for the belt off the end of the crankshaft is what had me swearing.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke