Camshaft Sensor

96 Tigra 1.6 Ecotec.

Where is the camshaft sensor on this engine so I can check the connections and the wiring?

krystnors

Reply to
krystnors

Behind the cambelt cover.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Right. The camshaft sensor *looks* okay, the wiring isn't frayed and the connections are tight.

The diagnostic test I did pulled the codes 0200 and 0340. 0340 is the camshaft sensor. There is no code 0200 available, but 0201 - 0206 are injector faults.

The problem is that the car won't start. (Tigra 1.6 Ecotec). There is no spark at the plugs, (which is why I was expecting a crank angle sensor code), the cams are turning and the engine *feels* like it's trying to start.

I've heard conflicting stories that the cam sensor will stop the engine from firing and that it won't stop it. Anyone know which is correct?

Any ideas?

Reply to
krystnors

Whilst I've no idea about the Vx system, I've read that the camshaft sensor is used for the ECU to determine correct injection sequence and if it fails it can operate the injectors in 'grouped' mode (i.e. firing more than one at a time). Not sure which system this is though.

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

The Cam sensor is between the cams under the plug cover, although R&R requires the cam belt cover also to be removed (you should check the cam belt tension at the same time)

A failed CPS will not prevent engine start, but it will light the MIL, injection will be non-sequential and there will be a rev limit of around

3500-4000rpm.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Removed cam sensor, gave it a good clean, refitted - no change. So I bit the bullet and called my local Vx dealer.

"Yes sir, camshaft sensor for that model will be £85.50"

"How much? £85.50, Jesus wept"

"...erm, plus VAT sir. That'll be £100.46"

For a fancy piece of plastic and a wire????

I don't need my City & Guilds in being a tight git to work out that that's daylight robbery.

Reply to
krystnors

What are you playing at? Give AutoVaux a ring or click

OE CPS is around 30.00UKP + vat.

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Think you got the wrong end of the stick. Phoning Vx was just for a ball park figure. Cannot remember the last time I used the services of a main dealer.

Autovaux want £58 + VAT (£68.15)

-- krystnors

Youth is wasted on the young. Oscar Wilde

Reply to
krystnors