Can anyone advise me please.

Hi all, I am wondering if I have dropped a bollock. At the end of March I bought a 2.5 Diesel Transit 100 LWB. I was a bit desperate for transport as my wagon had been knicked a month previous and my jobs were piling up and excuses for not doing them running out. Anyway I saw an R reg on ebay going for 2200 that looked in pretty good shape and ended up buying it. I got a little twang when the guy told me upon purchasing it that he was moving house the next week, and wondered why he had mentioned it. Anyway apart from a few smallish problems the van has been running fine, and I have been pleased with the purchase. 2 weeks ago I emailed the guy to ask him for some details on the van and he has not replied, I also notice now that he has become deregistered on Ebay. Anyway......to the point. I have driven 242 miles so far in the van and last week I noticed a couple of times that I was having problems getting it easily into 5th gear.this seemed to clear up until today.I set of to Bolton and while doing about 40mph noticed a grinding noise in fifth gear, then I lost fifth gear. It now works fine in

1st thru 4th but when I put it into fifth there is no power when I step on the accelerator. It dfoesn't grind when I engage it into fifth, just doesn't connect with the power train. Does anyone have any opinions as to what might be the problem and how much it might cost to fix? MBS I know this is a car NG sorry but couldn't find a transit one
Reply to
MrBlueSkye

The first thing I'd look at is the linkage from the lever to the gearbox. Get someone to go through the gears and see what happens when it's put into fifth.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Ask anything motor related in this NG. Some of us have plenty experience with vans.

At a guess, it's probably either a broken selector fork, or the teeth have broken off the 5th gear selector sleeve. I'm sure 5th gear on this box is a direct connection from engine to propshaft, so there are limited components to go wrong. Either way, it's a gearbox strip down, which is relatively straight forward (as far as gearboxes go), but a new/recon/2nd hand gearbox is the easiest option. Certainly, in terms off cost (where you're paying for labour), it's normally cheaper to replace the gearbox, than it is to rebuild it.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Good suggestion, but the gear lever goes straight into the top off the gearbox on rwd transits.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

Ah yes. In that case...oh bugger.

:)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot

Is it something I could do? I am fairly decent on the spanners but obviously don't have a ramp / pit. How much can I expect to pay for a replacement? Labour to change itr? I am in South Manchester, can you suggest some decent places to look for a replacement or a mechanic in the area that is decent. Thanks for the advice given so far and any further given. Steve

Reply to
MrBlueSkye

Go to your library and see if you can find a Haynes manual for a Sierra or Granada; it's not exactly the same gearbox but it'll give you an idea of the procedure involved in removing/refittin the 'box and the early Haynes manuals (not the ones with the colour picture on the front) will have diagrams for taking a gearbox apart, internal layout, etc. As I said, I don't think they use the same gearbox - the manual I had covered the N type

5-speed but I think your tranny will have the MT75 which is meant to be a bit harder to work on...

Best bet, like someone else said, is to just fit a known working 2nd hand gearbox or better still, a recon one if you're relying on it for your income!

Darren

Reply to
Darren Jarvis

Just spoken to somebody who's done these. It's a known fault, and from what he remembers, the 5th gear components come in a kit (dog gear + syncro). It's quite an easy job, if you're mechanically minded. Split the transmission, and methodically remove the shafts/gear assemblies. You've got to be careful about not loosing any off the detent springs/lugs. It's an easy job to do, as you don't require any off the special tools. Main thing is to do it in a clear area, so that if any bits go flying off, they can be found.

As has been suggested, try and get an old haynes manual, which shows how to strip and rebuild the gearbox. It is a MT75 gearbox.

Can't recommend anywhere as I'm in the edinburgh area, but all you can do is phone around. Even if you get a new box from somewhere, it's an easy gearbox to change. Remove gear lever (3 or 4 bolts under rubber boot at bottom off lever), remove starter starter motor, remove small plastic plate at bottom front off bell housing (2 or 3, 8mm headed bolts), remove propshaft, remove gearbox cross member, remove bell housing bolts, and it'll come straight out. Refitting is the opposite, but it's worth noting that the fuel pipe support bracket gets in the way (goes under the top two bell housing bolts). It can normally be wedged up out the way, but it may be easier to tie it up.

Reply to
Moray Cuthill

I have a second hand box lying about if your interested! Can maybe even arrange fitting, mail me off group....... SimonSNJ *HAT* 'otmail *SPOT* com

Reply to
SimonJ

Thanks very much for the advice Ha Ha Ha "and it'll come straight out" sorry but just had to have a chuckle at that one, but you must remember your looking at it from a mechanics perspective. In real life 2 days and nine hours later with all me knuckles bleeding, thumbnail gone black from where I trapped it, lump on forehead from "talking" to the bell housing in the wrong manner I step from under the vehicle covered in shit and grease and say...............that nearly came straight out! MBS

Reply to
MrBlueSkye