Can I use 65 profile tyres instead of 60?

As I smashed the passat up today, I need to get the Golf through it's MOT asap. It needs, among other things

4 new tyres. It wears 185/60/14s. The passat has 4 almost new 185/65/14s. Can I swap them over with no bad effects?

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

IME, it's such a small difference that it's not worth worrying about.

Insurance companies tend not to like you doing this, though. However, they're also very unlikely to notice.

Reply to
SteveH

185/65/14s.

Will the MOT man notice? :-)

Cheers Steve Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Almost certainly not, unless there's an obvious misfit.

-- Malc

Reply to
Malc

In message , Mike P writes

It will mean a 3.2% increase in your circumference and your speedo will read 70mph when you are actually doing 72.24mph.

That would not be a problem. Just make sure that the offset is the same or similar for both cars. The offset is difference between the imaginary centreline of the wheel (i.e. where the centre groove in the tyre is) and the flange on the wheel where the holes for the wheel nuts are. It is measured in mm.

Reply to
Paul Giverin

Yes. The speedo will be slightly out and if I could be arsed I could work it out but I doubt it'll be a huge amount.

John

Reply to
John Greystrong

Thanks for the explanation Paul. I was just going to swap the tyres on the rims actually, so the offset etc shouldn't be a problem. Presuming my speedo reads slightly optimistic as standard, it shouldn't cause much problem at all.

Thanks Mike

Reply to
Mike P

In article , Mike P writes

bad luck! BTW if it's a write-off, I'm looking for some front seats and other parts! Hope you don't think this is too much cheek! Chris

Reply to
Chris Holford

It'll actually end up closer to the right speed.

Reply to
Duncan Wood

And I'm looking for a short block 2 litre 16v engine as fitted in the Passats and some Audis. Not the tall block fitted to Golfs.

Dave Baker - Puma Race Engines

I'm not at all sure why women like men. We're argumentative, childish, unsociable and extremely unappealing naked. I'm quite grateful they do though.

Reply to
Dave Baker

In message , Dave Baker writes

Anyone for uk.rec.cars.breaking-now?

:)

Reply to
Paul Giverin

I see the vultures are circling!

It's the same with half-dead PCs (like one I healed yesterday). People were circling it saying "I'll have the DVD ROM" and "I'll have the monitor".

Pete.

Reply to
Pete Smith

No, not cheeky at all. I'd rather get rid of the car as a whole TBH. It's up on ebay if you're interested :-) To me, it's economically written off and I can't be arsed with repairing it. It's not that badly damaged.

It's a 1989 Turbo Diesel estate...

Mike

Reply to
Mike P